• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trailer mods

That is a good point. With your location there probably isn't much point to an expensive finish. You could leave it bare and your grandkids could still pass it on to another generation or two.

I got back from the Rubicon late last night, it appears we got more rain at home than on the mountain! I did receive my hanger kit and will get my fenders today. In the mean time I got the surface rust cleaned off the top rails and coated with galvi-prime and started mocking up the tongue.
P1090115.JPG

P1090116.JPG

P1090117.JPG

P1090118.JPG

P1090119.JPG

A new problem, I received my fenders yesterday (took 6 weeks to get them) and I don't like the fit. I've already ordered a new set but that leaves me with working on small stuff (no decking) until I get them!

Yesterday I got the holes for the ramps cut out and the last 2 crossmembers welded in along with trimming the tongue to length. I also mounted the axles to get them centered and weld the perches on.
P1090120.JPG

P1090121.JPG

P1090122.JPG

Not going to get much more done until I get fenders but the tires/wheels are on, axle perches are welded and bolted on plus I got 6 chain key-holes welded in. Headed to the lake for 4 days and wait patiently!
P1090126.JPG

P1090125.JPG

Maybe i missed it but are you going to put anything under the chain pockets to keep them from bending up?

Kickers off the Channel. I just got back from my fishing trip so it's time to get back on it!

I'm getting some of the hard parts made, this piece of 1/4" plate had be "press-braked" into a 18"x4"x1" "C-channel.
P1090128.JPG

I got the tongue/hitch portion completed today. Since the 3"x3" weld was so close to the receiver weld I decided to make it a triple pass weld.
P1090130.JPG

I've been busy this week cutting steel! I got the winch done and all the diamond plate supports cut along with most of the pieces for the ramps. Yesterday the (new) new fenders came in and the fit mocked up great! It's actually starting to look like a trailer.
P1090131.JPG

P1090132.JPG

P1090133.JPG

P1090134.JPG

What seemed like a easy task (30 cross supports) has been a time consuming project since they equate to 180 precision cuts!
P1090135.JPG

Today I took a break from the tedious cutting (inner supports) and started tacking together the outer supports/fender mounts. It's all a slow progress!
P1090136.JPG

P1090137.JPG

P1090138.JPG

P1090139.JPG

I finally got all the cross-braces cut, but before I can weld them (and the diamond plate) I need to get all my holes/tapped holes done before I lose good access. I also received my equalizer hitch mounts and sway bar mount.
P1090141.JPG

P1090140.JPG

It's time to get back to work, I just received my Bulldog hitch (2-5/16" ball/12,5000 lb). I couldn't meet the 50* A-frame design so I went with the 3" straight coupler.
P1090109.JPG

I'm curious if there's a reason you chose this style? I have one, and it's always a pita to operate. All my other trailers are the my common design....although I have no clue what either is called?

It's stronger and much more wear resistant than all the others!

It's stronger and much more wear resistant than all the others!

I figured strength might be the reason, I noticed the high rating. Hadn't considered wear, my car trailer has about 40k miles on it in the last decade...maybe I better Check the tongue for wear, it has the other style.

It's probably not a issue for most but my sons shop does fleet maintenance so he see balls that totally wear thru the coupler! Today I have to get the safety chains figured out and ordered.

I have to finish up some welding from underneath plus painting so I needed to test it all out! I also mocked up my hitch.
P1090142.JPG

Back