• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWF Trip Report

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I gotta say this year I was pretty bummed to have to pack up, and put an end to this year Northwest Fest. It was a very memorable trip in many different aspects.

Monday night I spent a good two hours loading everything into the Jeep. I not only had all my usual wheeling gear, but also six days of camping gear, food, raffle prizes, event supplies, an extra cooler, and some firewood to fit in as well. The stress was definitely present, but I managed to get everything in with a bit of room to spare.

P1010006.jpg

Tuesday morning came quicker than expected, but I was set to roll out and meet the others in Cascade Locks. Surprisingly the Jeep didn't feel all that loaded, and felt fairly normal. I stopped at the Bridge of the Gods to get my annual morning poser shot.

IMG_0017.jpg

I then met Rod, Karl, and Ken in Cascade Locks, and we set out for Naches. The drive up seemed to go by fairly quick.

IMG_0030.jpg

Karl, Ken, Jed (Ken's son), and I decided to head out for a quick shake down after getting camp set up. We decided to check out Kaner Flats since it's close to camp.

About 20ft into the trail we discovered the conditions weren't the same as last year, and all the rain we've been having definitely took it's toll on the trail. The small tires and tired four squirrels of Jed's Sami just weren't enough for Kaner Flats.
IMG_0031.jpg

We got Jed turned around and the rest of us pressed on. Ken strattling the ruts at the first major mud hole.
IMG_0032.jpg

Aardvark Hill was a complete mess. Thick peanut butter mud, and slipperly tree roots proved to be a tough challenge. Karl and I both made it up with some heavy throttle, but Ken chose to pull cable and play it safe on the first day.
IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

Wheel spin seemed to be a key component in making it up some of the climbs. I was starting to wonder what the conditions on the other trails were like.
IMG_0045.jpg

It was good to be back.
IMG_0047.jpg

The plan for Wednesday was to check out the conditions of the upper trails on Manastash Ridge. We started by taking Lilly Pond over to Kaner Flats where we left off the day before.

Rod wondering what his height limit is with the new additions.
IMG_0050.jpg

Karl leading.
IMG_0053.jpg

The ground was still drying out, and proved to be a good challenge on some of the hill climbs.
IMG_0059.jpg

After Lilly Pond we continued up the ridge.
IMG_0060.jpg

This short section of trail on Kaner has got to be my favorite part of Naches.
IMG_0062.jpg

more to come...

Continuing up the ridge.
IMG_0063.jpg

Rod getting some cage love from some trees.
IMG_0065.jpg

Eventually we got up on top of Manastash ridge and took in the view.
IMG_0067.jpg

We headed down Shoestring, found some mud...
IMG_0071.jpg

Found some puddles...
IMG_0074.jpg

We took Tripod Flats out to Summit trail, and then headed over to the rocks to play around for a bit.

Fig Newtons kicking in?
IMG_0079.jpg

Being up on the rocks during a thunder storm was a new one for me.
IMG_0080.jpg

Ken gave the crack a try.
IMG_0082.jpg

We had the whole place to our selves.
IMG_0085.jpg

After Funny Rocks, we checked out Moon Rocks for a bit, and ran a few lines before heading back for dinner.
IMG_0086.jpg

more to come...

The plan for Thursday was prerun the Moderate Run for Saturday, or at least check out the trail conditions on the south side of 410. Karl, Ken, Steve, and I headed out in the morning.

Steve making his way up the 1600rd to Bald Mt.
IMG_0091.jpg

These views never get old.
IMG_0100.jpg

We then made our way up the 1600rd hoping to reach Mud Springs trail. We hit snow pretty quick.
IMG_0106.jpg

Karl broke trail through the spring snow for awhile, but Ken's snow machine took over when the going got tough.
IMG_0107.jpg

I found a pinion shim in the snow, and figured it was Karl's since had to swap in a new center pin the day before.

I was right...
IMG_0114.jpg

The snow started getting deeper, but we made our way to Mud Springs trail head. After seeing the trail conditions (off camber drifts through the trees) we decided to head back down and catch Clover Springs instead.
IMG_0116.jpg

I believe Kens words were, "Karl are you planning on planting a garden, cause all your doing is digging holes?" :D
IMG_0120.jpg

Water levels were up.
IMG_0121.jpg

Starting up Clover Springs trail.
IMG_0123.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Eventually we hit snow again. More off camber drifts through the trees that weren't worth the effort to try and bust through.
IMG_0127.jpg

We headed back down Clover Springs, and hopped onto Sweet Home trail.
IMG_0129.jpg

Third times a charm, and we finally had a clear pass up to the ridge where we could make our way back down.

more to come...

Friday morning I was up at 6:00 and the campground was surprisingly very peaceful.

Pennsylvania Ave.
IMG_0134.jpg

Ertle compound.
IMG_0135.jpg

The Epic Run was set to take off at 8:00 with high hopes of making all of the planned route. Knowing the conditions of the trails a few days before, I knew we were in for a challenge.

Kaner Flats became the first obstacle.
IMG_0136.jpg

Several people pulled cable to get through this section, and it ate up a bunch of our time. We continued on though, and reached Aardvark Hill. It had dried out a bunch, and let us all pass under our own power.

Matt West
IMG_0140.jpg

Muddy Beast
IMG_0142.jpg

My day turned sour pretty quick when I shattered a rear window. That was a disappointment, but oh well could be worse. Well apparently the carnage gods weren't done yet. I ran over a tree branch and heard it clunking underneath the floor boards. When it hit the rear axle the Jeep suddenly died. I hopped out and took a look, and found that it had pulled the fuel pump connector apart, and was lodged against a fuel hose. It was a strange situation, but it could be worse. It then got worse... while the engine was off pressure in the coolant system built up and burst out the coolant bottle cap. So we sawed the branch in half, plugged in the fuel pump, and slapped a hose clamp on the coolant bottle. I was back in business and the temps seemed to be holding steady.

The group then continued up the ridge even more behind schedule.
IMG_0146.jpg

Sporting some cool new duct tape.
IMG_0149.jpg

Later on down on Shoestring Scott's jeep started having idling issues. We tried adjusting a few sensors, but couldn't seem to find the cause. We got it running and tried to press on, but it was apparent that we needed to either find the problem or find a temporary solution. After doing mass trouble shooting for a few hours a vacuum hose was pulled to cause a high idle, and hopefully provide enough power to limp it out. By that time it was nearing 5:00, and we still had a lot of trail left in front of us. With a group decision we decided to not risk any more issue and modify the route to get us back to camp. The Epic Run this year was definitely epic, but not in the way it was intended. Better luck next year...

After four days of running trails I was ready tot take it easy, and head up to the rocks. On Saturday I lead the Easy Run up the 1708 to the rocks.

John making his way down the wash out on the 1708.
IMG_0156.jpg

Rory had a slight case of cabin fever, and decided to bring his stocker out.
IMG_0157.jpg

Moon Rocks were first.
IMG_0160.jpg

Maxed out, and one proud Jeep owner.
IMG_0163.jpg

After playing around Moon Rocks for a bit we headed over to the Funny Rocks amphitheater to watch the show over there for a bit. Brandon in the CRAWL buggy, and Alex getting ready for take off.
IMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0169.jpg

IMG_0171.jpg

After watching the excitement at Funny Rocks, we headed back and started getting ready for the dinner and raffle. We completely sold out of raffle tickets, and were able to give away some cool items I know will be put to good use. Thank you all for the support you showed at Northwest Fest, and I hope to catch up with a lot of you on the trail soon.

Dustin

Outstanding trip report with pics, Dustin. Very nice, thanks for putting in the time. Makes some of us not able to attend this year feel almost like we were there.

Dustin,

Excellent trip report!!

Thanks,
Michael

Couple videos...

Ken on Aardvark Hill. You definitely weren't crawling that section.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6cHQstQ_7E

Karl one upping the Mad Dogs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VsoK66ip-Q

Rod on a rooty hill climb on Lilly Pond trail.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNw_CMVJKpw

Ken breaking trail on Thursday up on the 1600rd.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZUp3MZmk9g

CRAWL buggy at Funny Rocks. Fail on my part for running out of memory and not getting him making it up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVFmqEuD4XA

Great job. And I actually dented my drivers side rocker on the way out, man I was wheelin huh? :laugh: Seriously, I had cabin fever cuz I didn't want to slow anyone down or get stuck in some kind of simple spot. Next year I'll be set up a little better in the suspension and tire dept.

Rory had a slight case of cabin fever, and decided to bring his stocker out.
IMG_0157.jpg

It was great to meet you. I look forward to seeing your rig a little more pimped out next year.

Did you get it coming out of the washout on Milk Creek? I tagged my rocker there and I'm pretty sure Darren get his there too

Got the drivers side on the way up. Got a nice dent on the passenger side from funny rocks.

Back