• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my Big trip report... no doubt

Between day two and day three I slept in the back of the XJ down by the railroad tracks near the start of 7mile rim and 3D trails.

Between day three and day four I went up a road I know about behind a campground a bit closer to town. It was very windy that night - not much sleep.

Day 4.

I signed up for Hey Joe Canyon. Something high on my to do list!

Leader, JmaxJ
followers, MoabXJeeper, Tim_MN, o2bgpn, 0313, and myself tail-gunning.

We get out there near the start and derek asks me where the Dubinky Well Road is as it had been a while for him, Oh you mean the one I'm driving past right now? No worries theres a connector from the Hellroaring Rim trail, just take that and then the first right. Then after a short bit of driving toward Hellroaring Canyon I radio to derek we should be seeing that right turn any moment, like the one I'm driving past right now! Our next turn around situation began to happen in this first snapshot, if you look close you can see our intended route continue straight on the other side of the slickrock, Derek wisely showed us some cool seldom used camping sights across that drainage well to the right. : ) It actually was a cool seldom used little two track of a detour after all. We did one more turn around as I ended up in front and was unaware the "shortcut" removed Dubinky Well Road from our plans and therefore should have gone left on Spring Canyon Bottom road instead of Right. Almost as many turn arounds as the 2006 Fall Fling Strike Ravine run.

My album is getting quite large now, click on this first shot to browse the rest of the album from this point on. (in fact all the photos are in order and linked)

Starting along the shelf road, one of the most exciting shelf roads around Moab

I stayed back to get shots of the group through the big hole in the road, this is looking almost straight down.

This is what happens when your not paying attention on that road.

the uh, not zoomed in view of the same

Perfect day along the Green River

Last edited:
0313's brief wide axle grief, this snapshot doesn't give justice to how narrow it was or the drop off hidden by the tamerisk (vile weed)

If fact speaking of vile weed, a good bit of the trail, the view is like this through the windshield.

There are also a few of these moments

Lunch at the mine in Hey Joe Canyon was cool, the famous Hey Joe truck

On the way out I stayed back to zoom in on everybody driving up the shelf road, 150mm zoom maxed out, you can just make out an arm waving.

Another great trail run in the books! Thanks to jmaxj for leading!

as always, more to see in the album.

some more great pics jared, and i agree that has got to be one of the coolest shelf roads in moab, and i didn't get lost just temporarily misplaced:D but it was a cool dugout

A storm front blew through that night, all night long actually. In the wind we were treated to this show down before the chow down and the yippi I OOO down.

That night I spent again in the back of the XJ not far from the spot two nights before. It was very windy all night and I didn't sleep great. Woke up to grey skies, crisp temeratures and light sporadic rain, almost just a mist.
Got to slickrock and folks were discussing what trail to do as the scheduled but leaderless Kane Creek run wasn't appealing with the iffy storm situation. My two cents was for Hells Revenge rather than Poison Spider or Moab Rim for personal reasons, others preferred Hells as well so a consensus was made, Thom was signed up to lead it so we got going.

We played Leapfrog with a decent sized Land Rover group, other than that it wasn't too busy of a Saturday on the Hells Revenge trail.

Tim at the overlook

Descending the Gate was a wheel locking slip n slide

Jeff made it very interesting with his new rig finding out just how slippery it was.

After that bit of fun I locked in the rear, third time up, but first w/ lockers. Anyone get any decent shots?

Isreal made his goal reality

Dennis lifted a tire

Thom's rig just looks good

Thom going ballistic into the sun wich came out to stay.

We went through the Car Wash.

I played in Mickies Hot Tub for the first time! (thanks to Isreal for getting these shots w/ my camera)

And I got shots of everybody (in album) driving up Tipover Challenge wich was much easier than last spring when sand was stuck all over it. XJEEPER here.

It was a great trail to wrap up a fun week in Moab.

Two things became appearant on that trail run. My brakes needed immediate attention, and my waterpump was suddenly on it's last leg.
After the trail ride I hit the autoparts store then went to the Lion's Park lower parking lot.
Changed my pads and rotors down by the river in the warm afternoon sun.

That night I drove out to Hurrah Pass, and finding conditions favorable, slept out under the stars next to my XJ.
literally fell asleep while counting shooting stars. Best nights sleep of the trip by far.

Crescent moon under the morning star - this is what I woke up to.

Met up with Jeff at City Market that morning and we convoyed home.

Thanks for all the comments. Glad you enjoy the photos! I always enjoy taking and sharing them.
Full album link
Full slideshow link http://outdoors.webshots.com/slideshow/560986866GSmJXH
as before, click posted images to link directly,
from the image in album select full size in upper right corner for 800x600 and clearer resolution.
PM me if you want any higher resolutions.

I hope this report inspires some future Fall Fling participation.
Fall Fling 2007 is in the books. Hope to see you all in 2008!

Thanks a mill for those pics, I put 2 into my screensaver. Awesome. Can't wait till next year and more of it! Thom

xjblue said:
Anyone get any decent shots?

Courtesy of the little lady:

DSCN0129.jpg

DSCN0134.jpg

DSCN0140.jpg

The rest are here http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h237/TsiTalons_photos/Fall Fling 2007/

Great shots, Jared. Thanks for sharing. I have some more of you, stay tuned.........

jmaxj said:
jared, did you make it out of mickey's on your own or get strapped?

Gave it about eight or so good attempts, then took a strap (would like a pic of that too), almost felt like I had it once or twice but.....there's always next time.
We figured a little more lift and/or less weight in the back(ie all my camping stuff, tools, cooler [wich I should have drained first:doh:] etc).

xjblue said:
Gave it about eight or so good attempts, then took a strap (would like a pic of that too), almost felt like I had it once or twice but.....there's always next time.
We figured a little more lift and/or less weight in the back(ie all my camping stuff, tools, cooler [wich I should have drained first:doh:] etc).
yeah usually you start right and when the front gets on top top you go left and sometimes pull out

Back