• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running cool

JTwthaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Quick question guys, I have been having issues getting my engine up to temp while moving. I have a 4.7L stroker with a 3 row radiator, hesco water pump, and a 180* thermostat. I have dual electric fans, but I never switch them on unless I am sitting at idle for several minutes and approach 210*. Any thoughts as to why I can't keep the temp anywhere above about 150* steadily? Its running rich and I could get better gas mileage if the temp would stay where its supposed to be. I have recently replaced the radiator cap, would that have any affect.

Thanks!

I would change to the 195 degree thermostat, Stant SuperStat Premium.

Consider making a restrictor: http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoRadiatorRestrictor.htm

Use of restictors is somewhat controversial--some say they don't work. I would do the thermostat first and see what temps you get after that.

Well, a 195 degree should raise the coolant temp by 15 more degrees than what you have now before it opens and allows the full amount of coolant to flow through the radiator.

The restrictor is to slow the flow of your modified system so that a greater amount of heat exchange can take place in the radiator.

A lower psi cap will allow your coolant to boil at a lower temperature. Boiling coolant is never a good idea.

Back