• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A couple of trail leaders slots still open

XJEEPER

NAXJA Member # 13
NAXJA Member
I'd like to nail down trail leaders for every trail before the event. The available leader slots are as follows:

Tuesday Oct. 7th--Behind the Rocks

Friday Oct. 10th--Metal Masher/Gemini Bridges

Saturday Oct 11th--Kane Creek

If you know the trail or the Moab area and are interested in leading one of these runs and being worshiped by your peers for the day :D ......let me know ASAP
Thanks

XJEEPER said:
I'd like to nail down trail leaders for every trail before the event. The available leader slots are as follows:

Tuesday Oct. 7th--Behind the Rocks

Friday Oct. 10th--Metal Masher/Gemini Bridges

Saturday Oct 11th--Kane Creek

If you know the trail or the Moab area and are interested in leading one of these runs and being worshiped by your peers for the day :D ......let me know ASAP
Thanks
Hey Jeff,
You know my experience with Moab. :confused1
But I'll volunteer just the same. It's the trail I wanted to run on Tue. anyway.
Is my rig capable for this trail? :confused:
Let me know what you think.
Thanks,
Dan.

Jeff..

if you can't get anybody to lead BTR then I could do it. I've run it a couple of times. What about adding Pritchett Canyon earlier in the week also. Maybe on Tuesday. We are going to have way more Jeeps than we have scheduled trails I suspect. Nice problem to have! I've got to make the runs that have the most scenic photo opportunities for our slide show. Dan

I'd volunteer for Metal Masher/Gemini, but get lost easily on the Metal Masher. If people don't mind poking around a couple of times between the overlook and Widow Maker (I think I saved it in my GPS as a 'route', but am not sure), I'd do it.

metal masher

once you get to the overlook its easy from there. I always found it a bit confusing getting on the correct road up the mountain in the first place. From the overlook you basically stay to the right and when it comes out to where you can see the valley you originally came in thru ..there is a road to the right that leads to Widowmaker. Last time we were on it we passed a large group of mountain bikers. They looked a bit forighn and after asking found out that they were all from "Mehico City". This was in June, no less! Maybe they were used to the heat.

Danno, I'm taking you up on your offer to lead Behind the Rocks.....no offense Dan F, you'll like it better this way and then next time you'll be "leader qualified" :)

Dan F, BTR can be confusing to run if you've never done it, but the Wells book is pretty descriptive so it could be figured out by a newbie. Your rig is plenty capable.

As for adding a Pritchett run on Tuesday....the Trail Schedule is set and will not be changed. If a random group of friends that wind up in Moab on the same day decide to run it........that's up to them.

Marc, if you're sure you can make it, I'll plug you in on Metal Masher leader duties........I was keeping you as a wild card based on your dynamic work situation.
When leading I just wander around on the slickrock until I find the trail anyway........the folks that are new to Moab will never know anyway;)

To get to Widowmaker, you need to turn right at the fork on the flat, after you drop off rim. Then right at the next fork too, you'll pass an exploratory gas well site (big pipe sticking out of the ground) and then you'll see the approach to Widowmaker up on your left. After WM you merely head SWest on the 2 track till you hit the graded county rd,(Mother in Law is an option on the way out) then a hard left (East-ish) to take you back to Gemini Bridges and then out the way you came in. I keep the side trip to Gemini as an option and make the call to stop there based on time of day and group interest......adds about 45 minutes to the run.
Thanks guys.

Now all we need is a leader for KC on Saturday........anyone??

XJEEPER said:
Marc, if you're sure you can make it, I'll plug you in on Metal Masher leader duties........I was keeping you as a wild card based on your dynamic work situation.
When leading I just wander around on the slickrock until I find the trail anyway........the folks that are new to Moab will never know anyway;) ........................

I'll know a LOT more next week. I think I have a couple of positions in the works, but I really can't say for sure.

XJEEPER said:
Danno, I'm taking you up on your offer to lead Behind the Rocks.....no offense Dan F, you'll like it better this way and then next time you'll be "leader qualified" :)
None taken!!!
I would rather follow someone more experienced there than me. :)
Although I admitted my inadequacies, I can at least say "I tried to volunteer".
Dan.

Don't pull your hand out of the sky so fast.........there are other things you can help with.......we still need a NAXJA Trailside Latrine Patroller.........it's kind of a crappy job, but thanks for helping out!!

Jeff,
If Trrraindriver wants to lead BTR that's okay. I'll go do Pritchett Canyon with Goat and Mil. Ought to be good pix on that one. I'm trying to pick the spots that would be most photogenic. Danno

Dan Riggs said:
Jeff,
If Trrraindriver wants to lead BTR that's okay. I'll go do Pritchett Canyon with Goat and Mil. Ought to be good pix on that one. I'm trying to pick the spots that would be most photogenic. Danno

Holy snapped axle Danno, would you like some extra syrup for your WAFFLE? Make up your mind already..........besides, Mil and RG are running Chicken Corners that day so you should get plenty of scenery shots! :confused1

I know Engineer Dan can run BTR, I just don't feel right about saddling him with the leader job on his first go at Moab......... but then again, he can stick with a decision.:D

I'll take Kane Creek on Saturday...

That is one of Moab's most underated trails, and one of my favorites. Sure it makes for a long day but c'mon, you're in MOAB!

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

I'll pack my water wings, just in case of rain. :)

In 2001 I lead the Kane Creek Trail run. The trail was fun and crawling up a few of the ledges was more enjoyable than I thought the trail would be. The scenery is gorgeous.
I would enjoy running the trail again. Guess I will wait to see what trails are available for that day.

Re: Well...

Dan Riggs said:
well my intention was to NOT steal TrainDriver's thunder! Man, ya got to start using vaseline more often. :moon: :D

Since the www.vagueanswer.com site is down...........just give it to me straight.
Will you lead BTR on 10-7? :banghead:

Muchos Gracias

Thanks again to all who have stepped up to take on the trail leader responsibility. Your combined efforts will help make this the best NAXJA run yet.
The rest of you are just a bunch of followers.....:D

19 days............get the junk back together and pointed at Moab

Back