• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winch security??

dphillips

See,what had happened was
As most people know, a winch is a significant investment. I'd hate to see it walk off one day while I'm at work. What's everyone doing (if anything) to lock down there winches? I've seen a few locking devices on-line. Most of them look big and bulky. Thought I might just tack a piece of metal over one of the bolt holes so that no one could access the bolt head without a grinder or cutting tool. Anyone else fabbed something up or should I not worry about it?

Could also mangle the bolt threads or nut heads, would need to be ground off. Welding works as well.

DSCN0773.JPG

The four mounting bolts on mine were wide open and exposed. I took a piece of street sign post thats shapes like a square u with wings ( the real common stuff) and welded a strip on each side to cover the bolts.
You got me thinking. Sombody could remove all the bumper bolts. Mines a Detours unit and if they steel the bumper I will have no bolts left in the steering box if they toss them. Im going to throw a cover over some of the other bolts also but leave the steering box bolts open so I can check them for tourqe.

Good ideas. Thanks for the pictures. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I don't remember it being brought up very often. Some of the key lock devices I've seen on line look pretty cheesy.

If anyone has a creative mounting solution for the solenoid pack I'd like to hear some. I'm thinking of mounting mine behind the grill if I can. Not sure if the heat from the radiator/condenser would affect it's operation.

dphillips said:
Good ideas. Thanks for the pictures. Just thought I'd throw it out there. I don't remember it being brought up very often. Some of the key lock devices I've seen on line look pretty cheesy.

If anyone has a creative mounting solution for the solenoid pack I'd like to hear some. I'm thinking of mounting mine behind the grill if I can. Not sure if the heat from the radiator/condenser would affect it's operation.
It doesn't affect mine. Although I have an integrated winch the style of my bumper keeps it right against the AC condenser.
IMGP4289.jpg

I also tack the bolts to the bumper for security.

Del00XJ said:
Hence why I use a receiver type mount and just stow it away... Yea, not quite as strong but still works...
My next jeep will be set up this way. Not so much for the security as much as the aproach angle on a bumper and the ability to hook it to the rear of the jeep too.

yea, i like the receiver idea myself. then you just push the door lock button.
winchstorage001.jpg

and then you have "rebuilt" hitch that used to fit the rear of a dodge truck.
winchstorage002.jpg

Back