• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part Time 4wd light failed after inspection?

f15c

NAXJA Forum User
I am troubleshooting a problem, and if you have the time to respond, I would appreciate any inputs:

I noticed after an emissions inspection (performed by a local Jiffy Lube) that the "Part Time" 4wd light that illuminates when I manually shift from 2hi to 4hi doesn't light up anymore.

My thoughts:
1. I am wondering if Jiffy Lube disconnected anything that may be connected to the light somehow?

2. Yes, 4WD does work when selected, so it is only the light.

3. The bulb could be burned out, just a coincident that it worked when I pulled into Jiffy Lube, and burned out while being inspected.

4. A blown fuse? From reading manuals, I can't tell if there is a separate fuse for the part time light, I only find documentation for the whole instrument panel.

The first things I am going to check are fuses and bulbs, but tearing out the inst panel is a pain, and want to make sure I am not missing something more obvious, like a possible wriring harness disconnection or something.

Also, I will go back to Jiffy Lube and ask if they may have disconnected anything.

Does anyone have any ideas on things to look for first?

Thanks for your time.

Check the wires at the switch on the transfer case (if you have a later model without the vacuum disconnect axle Aardvark is referring to - likely if your 4WD still works without the light). They may just have pulled the plug off by mistake.

mistake #1 taking your rig to the jiffy boobs i wouldnt let them look at my jeep if they paid me. but my first guess check for a loose wire it could possably could be a bulb but i wouldnt chase it. and i wouldnt let them try and fix it something worse could happen...

I you would of posted your year and which transfer case. Jeep made XJs form 84-2001 and things changed over the years. With that said I take it you have a 90 from your profile and my GUESS is that you have a NP 231 (command trak) transfercase. The NP231 is the part time transfercase, if you have full time on your transfer case handle display then you have the NP242 (Select trak).

On the 87-90 XJs the oil filter is mounted right above the shift motor harness for the axle disconnect. There is a vacuum hose attached to the shift motor to engage and disengage the front axle. Every time the oil is changed some of the oil drips on the harness connector. Over time this breaks down the rubber and allows leaks, that why you don't have 4x4 now, the part is "non-servicable".

Just go to your local Jeep dealer and ask for a new shift motor harness vacuum harness. It should cost around $10. Then when you get the new part just climb under your XJ, find where it connects, and replace the old with the new. That how I fixed it on my 88 XJ.

Back