• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

threaded studs?

clay

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to put in a t-case lowering kit and am having problems removing the threaded studs that currently hold the crossmember up. I have tried vice-grips but they just trashed the threaded, turned it a little, and now I have a nice smooth round stud sticking down. Did most of you drill and tap these out? Any help would be great and yes, I searched, that is the way i found out they are threaded studs.

clay

clay said:
I am trying to put in a t-case lowering kit and am having problems removing the threaded studs that currently hold the crossmember up. I have tried vice-grips but they just trashed the threaded, turned it a little, and now I have a nice smooth round stud sticking down. Did most of you drill and tap these out? Any help would be great and yes, I searched, that is the way i found out they are threaded studs.

clay

get a stud remover from sears

you could take two nuts and tighten them together, then loosen. also, if u had to, you could just hammer the stud and welded nut off inside the frame. then make a small hole in the side of the frame and put in a grade 8 nut. yes i know, probably not the most deserable choice...

PB blast it or whatever then try with the vice grips again on the one you thrashed, it'll come - mine did....you just got to get about five or six neighbors to squeez down the grips with you. if the other is still good double nut it

Back