• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

231 sye

whosyourdaddy?

NAXJA Forum User
wondering how strong the 231 will be with aa231 hd? i know its supposed to help with the vibes, but wondering how much stronger the case itself will be? what transfer case will swap with a 231? im guessing the price i could get for my factory 231 plus the 600 for the aa231 hd, i'd be able to put something else in there.

short of an atlas theres not much of an option to replace the 231. With the HD SYE they take a lot of abuse. I think some have tried 241s and there has been take of a 208 possibly working but not sure.

The difference is marginal. According to New Venture Gear's web site, the 231 is rated for 1885 foot-pounds of torque, and the 231HD is rated for 1940 foot-pounds.

The 241 is rated for a whopping 5555 foot-pounds!

How about a flipped dana 300? 4x4groupbuy.com has a group buy going on now 560 for the kit flip kit according a the post on JU ( http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=366615 )

can find a d300 in a junkyard for very cheap (seen as low as $50.00) comes stock with a fixed yoke, bolts up to an AX-15 (i.e. 23 spline input)

If you add the 6 pinion planetary from a 241 to the 231, I think the torque ratings will go up. One can also add the wide chain and sprockets from the 231HD (or source from other cases such as a 233C) and gain a bit more strength. The rear output shaft in the AA kit is much heavier duty than the stock 231J unit for sure. Jeff

Thanks for the input. AA231 is on the way so I'll go with that for now and see what happens. I've heard 4 hours for install time. I have compressor and lots of tools, just wanted some input on that as well. Can it be done on the jeep or should i drop the whole thing?

Back