• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Introduction/buying advice wanted

Kendellgil

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, I have been reading lots of old threads on xjs for a week or so trying to decide what I wanted in terms of options and years. I'm not completely new to the 4x4 scene, I've had two early broncos and one fullsize.

I'm planning on looking at a 96 XJ with 180K and a reconstructed title, they say it runs and drives fine, with no drive ability issues. I know the airbags were deployed in the wreck and that it rear-ended another car. My question is if this thing drives good, doesn't pull, shake, etc going down the road and nothing looks bent our out of wack on the uni-body is there any reason I shouldn't buy it? It is going to be a mild wheeler probably 60 percent of its time onroad. Thanks for any tips on what to look for.

Airbags deploying automatically make the vehicle totaled to remove liability of future non deploying airbags, so the reconstructed title just means that the vehicle was totaled (might not have totaled the vehicle by cost of fixing) for that reason and put back together. This would then remove any ability to sue someone if you get in an accident and get hurt because the airbags don't work properly.

Knowing that, there really isn't much else that would be a reason to not purchase the vehicle assuming the rest was put back together properly like it seems with what you said.

Another thing to note is the resale ability of a vehicle with a reconstructed title or rebuilt as it's called in Texas. One of my buddies got a "great deal" on a new style WRX STI with a rebuilt title. When he wanted to get rid of it and trade it for a truck no dealer would take it. He ended up selling it for quite a loss. Just something to be aware of.

If you plan on keeping it for a while and not trying to trade it in I don't see much wrong with the idea other than what I already said.

Ok sounds good, I'm not concerned with selling it anytime soon. I've got two little brothers I could always sell it to for a family discount haha. I guess I was just worried that it was common knowledge that if the airbags popped the XJs uni-frame was toast or something like that.

Back