• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suspension Still Doesn't Feel Right?

Cherokeekid88

NAXJA Forum User
So, I understand that we all drive jeeps and not Caddy's....but.....It just makes me wonder. My current suspension setup is 3.5" pro comp coils with a 1" spacers, IRO long arm kit, and bilstein 5100 shocks and to me, it just doesn't feel that great as far as ride quality. I am just not really sure why my ride isnt a bit better....everything underneath is tight, there is some slop in my steering, but wouldn't really think that would cause a harshness in ride quality unless it is my coil springs with the spacer? been thinking about just ditching the coils and spacers and just picking up some 4.5" coils

Well, you are running lift springs on a suspension with about 1/4 as much rubber in it as the factory intended. That increase in control arm angle (even with long arms), stiffer springs + lots less bushing to absorb road shock / noise will def. make a negative difference in ride quality.
What kind of tires are you running? I've notice a big difference in ride quality with the swap from BFG ATs to a P-series tire. Granted you probably want the LT tire if your rig is lifted. I guess my point is that tires make a big difference, too.
The spacer shouldn't be hurting anything.
I noticed an improvement in ride quality when I added a rear sway bar & replaced the poly in my front sway bar with OEM rubbers.
You might also check your shackle angle. Look at your rear shackle - if it isn't 45 degrees down and back, you are sacrificing some ride quality there. Closer to vertical is worse.
Hope this helps.

Going over harsher bumps just feels unstable. a bit of bump steer as well, but jeep was just aligned. Honestly, my girls jeep with the same coil springs, and rc shocks, and 31's almost feels, not better, but more stable.

I am running 33x12.50 BFG AT's. I know my shackle angle isn't great, but I am more focus on how the front feels at the moment.

Tire pressure?

Anything over 25psi in mine and it rides hard and squirrly...

Robert

If i'm running long on a freeway i keep mine to 24 or 25.Around town i keep them at 22.

Also check your alignment

Last edited:
Procomp springs do tend to ride stiff as hell also . I sold enough of them when I worked at 4wheel parts. An always got complaints on the harsh ride.

holy cow you guys run low psi! i typically air down to 20-25 psi...

What size? That matters a lot.

I run my 35x1250s on the street at about 22-24. I 'froaded my old radials about 12.

My new-to-me LTBs are set at 7.

Robert

holy cow you guys run low psi! i typically air down to 20-25 psi...

I was thinking the same thing 22-25 psi for street driving? I'm at 32 psi on my 33" for daily driving. But down to 12-15 psi wheeling.

OP- with the IRO long arm kit and the 5100's @ 3.5" lift, that thing should handle and ride like a dream. I'm at 5.5 RC LA and 5100 and it rides awesome on the freeway. I would get away from those pro comp coils and get something else.

I was thinking the same thing 22-25 psi for street driving? I'm at 32 psi on my 33" for daily driving. But down to 12-15 psi wheeling.

OP- with the IRO long arm kit and the 5100's @ 3.5" lift, that thing should handle and ride like a dream. I'm at 5.5 RC LA and 5100 and it rides awesome on the freeway. I would get away from those pro comp coils and get something else.

I was thinking the same thing....I might just see if I can score some Rusty's or RE 4.5" coils and just get rid of the coil spacers at the same time.

I am also running stock steering with a IRO HD tie rod.

I was thinking the same thing....I might just see if I can score some Rusty's or RE 4.5" coils and just get rid of the coil spacers at the same time.

I am also running stock steering with a IRO HD tie rod.

If you go RE 4.5s serious has them for about 75$ to your door.

Ditch the Pro Comp coils. Get 4.5" Rubicon Express coils. Are you running stock steering? If so, upgrade to zj steering at a minimum with the 33x1250's. Make sure your tracbar/draglink angles are correct. You mentioned long arms, so maybe your caster was not correctly set...

Edit: looks like some of this was covered... i didn't see the 2nd page until i posted

Back