• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welding the track bar bracket

ehall

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
My track bar hardware is working itself loose, so I am thinking about welding the thing in place. Where do you folks put the weld? I am thinking about just tacking one of the nuts and and one of the bolts to the bracket itself, just to keep the hardware from backing out but figure I'd better get other inputs.

Trackbar brace = problem solved.

My RE setup has let the hardware move once or twice (maybe an 1/8th of a turn) in over a year.

I know you posted about welding the bracket, but just throwing out another option.

i have welded maybe an inch along the bottom against the framerail and an inch along the side.

if i ever need to get it off

just cut the top weld with a cut off wheel

and bend the bracket around til the lower weld snaps.

Trackbar brace = problem solved.

My RE setup has let the hardware move once or twice (maybe an 1/8th of a turn) in over a year.

I know you posted about welding the bracket, but just throwing out another option.

thanks for the option. what track bar do you have? the specs say it only works with their big track bar, but that one looks just like my TNT/Treks track bar

I have the RE bracket/brace, and a JKS bar (with the stock bushing end cutoff and a 2" JJ in it's place).

You just need to have their bracket for it to bolt in, not sure if you could make it work with any other brackets.

This is all I have right now...I'll try to remember to snap a pic later...

4342_523516062870_41902041_31123365_4696748_n.jpg

can you get a closeup pic of the bracket end?

I made a trac-bar brace similar to the RE one. I started with a Kevin’s dropped track-bar mount. It is a stock XJ bracket with a new trac-bar mount welded to the bottom to accommodate the JKS trac-bar.
The now unused TRE hole was drilled out to 5/8”and is now used to bolt the end of the brace to the trac-bar mount.
The brace needs to be installed before installing the frame end of the trac-bar.
It noticeably tightened the front end up and eliminated the loosening of the trac-bar mount.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2230983127/in/set-72157622713438559/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2231777578/in/set-72157622713438559/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/2230983305/in/set-72157622713438559/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lwade/4116999974/in/set-72157622713438559/

[FONT=&quot]The end of the brace can be modified to fit almost any trac-bar mount.[/FONT]

I also welded the RE bracket straight to the frame. Not sure how strong it is welding 1/4" to sheet metal, but it solved my problem on the short term. Did about 2 inches of weld on the side and 1" or so on the bottom of the rail. I don't think I could ever get the mounting nuts tight enough, especially the bottom ones, so welding the nuts to the studs wouldn't have done me any good.

I was having issues with my RE bracket loosening up. Im pretty sure i had the HD brace isntalled at the same time. So I stitch welded around the bracket. Pretty much 1" long welds, 2-3 inchs apart all the way around.

Could I get it back off? Sure... Would it be a slight pain? Yes... Is it going to move at all now? Heck no! haha.

J.

i made my own brace too. i have the RE mount. i only had the two side bolts back out once, but that was right after i put it on and im not too sure if they were fully tightened. i also put red loctite on the bolts.

356644962.jpg

red loctite didnt work for you guys?
my 1660 came loose recently too so i finally threw some redloctite on there. i plan on buying the cross brace too

i too had the bracket loosen up on me, and ended up getting the brace to tighten everything up.

I had the same issue with the trackbar bracket working itself loose against the frame. Cleaned up a couple of spots on the side and the bottom and ran a 1" bead of weld on each flat surface (four beads total) I laid them down so that I can grind them off to remove it (which I'll need to do to swap my suspension over to the new rig) It hasn't worked itself loose again. It doesn't have to be some uber-deep mondo forever weld, since the bolts still hold the bracket in place, the weld beads are just a safety device of sorts.

welded my r.e. one on the under side and both sides on the vertical side of it. i also had the brace and it never gave me problems and was pretty solid.

I had my RE bracket loosen up once about 9yrs ago,addded the brace and its never come loose again!

Back