• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front and rear bumpers

I used 1 1/2" x .120 wall tubing. I built the bumper first and the tire carrier was an after thought. I would move the bumper back another couple of inches to eliminate the out-riggers welded to the rear bumper that the tire carrier pivots and locks on. Thats the only change I can think of.

I'll wait for the long term reports.Im still concerned about movement/failure since you have so little separation between the bushing mounting points.Ive seen very few carriers of any kind that are 'Rock-Solid".My sons first one was even mounted in "double shear" so there was never any movement at the pivot,the actual vertical and horizontal section would still "twist" the whole thing from weight/motion.
TireCarrier05.jpg

P1030685.jpg

So it's been a couple of years since I installed my bumpers. The rear with the tire carrier is holing up well. I dont baby my XJ and I have had no issues with the functionality of the swing out / down tire carrier. I grease the pivot point about every 6 months or so. Thats been the only real maintenance. I did however go from a 33" tire to 35" tires and still no issues. It is very solid. I'll post pics later.

Last edited:
can you take a few more pics of that rear bumper? specifically a side profile, and a few of the pivot points? I'm gonna try my first rear swing out, and researching every swing out tire carrier as i can.

they look just as cool in person.

long time no see man. how ya been?

Chris Segraves

Your pm box isn't set-up!

Hey,

I came across your post (https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1030354) where you showed the bumpers you built for your XJ.

I'm planning to do something very similar to yours and was wondering if you would mind giving me some info on exactly how you did some things.

- You mentioned using 2" x 6" x 3/16" tube. Did you cut the back out of the tube (turning it into channel) or did you leave it as full tube?
- Did you cut into the frame and mount using the hitch holes (bolts from the bottom) or use the stock mounting location (the 4 bolts on either side that are in a square pattern)?
- What did you use for the tire swing out "axle"?

Any further info would be appreciated. I'm in Phoenix (Peoria) as well.

Thanks,
Chris

Back