• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Repair Cruise, signal, Wiper delay Stalk

XJBucko

NAXJA Forum User
My 89 XJ Cruise Control (also, wiper delay and WW Washer) wires have broken off the lever. I see that I can get a replacement lever on eBay for about $20 but I'm wondering if anyone has re-soldered the wires on the original lever. I just had the steering column apart to tighten the Steering column bolts and I don't want to go in there again to fish in a new Cruise Control Lever cable. Thanks for any advice.

If you can easily get to them and have some soldering skills, give it a try. For $20 I might even buy the replacement in case I screw up.

I had to do the bolts for my tilt as well. I agree, was a big pain.

I can solder well enough, I just can't figure out how the lever comes apart once it's removed from the column. I might have to break it up just to see how it's put together.

I can solder well enough, I just can't figure out how the lever comes apart once it's removed from the column. I might have to break it up just to see how it's put together.

I installed a replacement off eBay on mine. IIRC there were a bunch of different options, particularly on the intermittent settings. I recall having to look at a bunch of different listings until I found the one that matched my old one.

In my case I took the steering wheel off and fished the wires down the column. I don't remember it being too difficult but if you can get to the solder points that might be an easier option.

Back