• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

windshield frame rust

1990JEEPXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
so my windshield has a few cracks and chips in it and needs replaced. but where the cowl meets the windshield frame, i have some pretty bad rust. a PO had tried to have it fixed but it has come back, on both sides right above where the fender and door meet. so needless to say im pretty afraid to remove the windshield due to the fact that the frame may be rusted beyond repair and i wouldnt be able to get a new windshield in there and sealed properly. any thoughts, recommendations? i will post up pictures later of the cancer.

wire wheel it down to bare metal. If you can't get to bare metal, cut it out and weld in new sheet metal. Apply bondo, primer, and paint till it looks ok again...

Make sure you use the special primer (comes in a bottle with a dauber built into the cap, it's like 30 bucks for a bottle) to prep the new paint for urethane windshield adhesive or it won't stick right and may not seal.

is the frame too close to the dash to be able to weld to it safely without having to remove it? how do you prep paint for urethane adhesive? im a newb to body work

not sure on either one :gee:

my rust is up at the top of the frame so I haven't really considered how to deal with rust at the bottom. I'm planning on just following the instructions on the bottle to the letter.

Layers:
* primer
* paint
* clearcoat
* urethane primer (3M makes it, comes in a little bottle)
* urethane

Long as all of em stick to each other properly it will seal.

well a lot of help you are! :conceited

just kidding man. i appreciate the advice :cheers: . i have seen rust in the same spot as mine on numerous XJ's, not a ton of them, but some. seems like its somewhat of a susceptible area though. looks like i need to read up on stuff like this and just do it when i get the time. im sure its like anything else body and paint related, prep is everything

heres the bad side.
005-3.jpg

Back