• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear frame stiffeners

XJtattoo

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the middle of building a rear bumper and want to reinforce the rear of the frame at the same time. I had an idea in mind, and just saw the HDOffRoadEngineering ones came out.
What I was thinking about is similar to the HD ones, but wrapped around the bottom of the rail, and extending back around the spring pocket.

What I am wondering is which way will be stronger . . .
. . . use the HD stiffeners, and weld a plate to the bottom and a piece around the spring pocket
or
. . . make my own stiffener that is all one piece

If you do this you will have to do them in two pieces, as the frame bends in towards the rear.....so buy the hd ones and make a piece for the bottom of the rail if you feel you need more support.

what if I did a pie cut in the bottom piece where it bends in?
It is possible. I did it with some 3x3x3/16" angle iron. I will say I have the HD stiffeners for general uni-rail section and they fit very nice.

I did the inside and underside as one piece, then plated the outside as well. My link mounts mount to the inside that's why I did it the way it did, but it would easily have been done for the outside and underside.

InnerRearBracesContour.jpg

InnerBracesFloor.jpg

RCman, that is pretty similar to what I was thinking, those pieces look awesome.
I do like the HD stiffners and if I end up getting those, I will probably order the set front to rear.
Will I lose any strength though piecing it together as opposed to one piece?

Back