• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk, noise 8.25 rear end

slowtrain37

NAXJA Forum User
I can't be the only one here who has this problem, but I checked all the posts and didn't find any discussion of this problem. What's with the way the rear end clunks on XJs of higher mileage?
Almost everyone I talk to who owns or has owned an XJ says it's normal for the Ch***ler 8.25 rear end to thud about a second after you come to a stop as the rear end catches up with the TC. Others say it's the NP231. Still others say it's this bushing or that bushing in the rear end, and lastly people say it's rear drum brake adjustment.
I pulled the u-joints last night and they're fine. None of the bushings are mushroomed out, and anyway I don't think the clunk I'm talking about is the same as a worn bushing. I've worked on a bunch of drum brakes and never had that problem. I checked the play in both the 8.25 and the NP231, and they both, especially the Ch***ler product were like a loose tooth. There was at least 5/16" play in the rear.
Are people just afraid to admit that our 8.25s are trash, or is the clunk I'm (and thousands of others) talking about not related to the rear? I've always been reluctant to buy the Ch***ler products. I love everything about my XJ except the clunk in the rear.
Please help even if it's going to hurt my feelings or my wallet. Here's some facts:
'94 XJ Sport
172,xxx miles
NP231 TC
4.0L
Stock everything, never offroaded by the original owner.
Thanks,
Greg
[email protected]

More than likely, you're experiencing the same thing I do in my 95 Sport. The clunking is coming from your output shaft of your transfer case. The only fix, and this is a temporary one, is to pull the shaft out of the rear of the transfer case and grease the spline using high temp. lube. Unfortunately, the lube will wear down as this is a high-friction area. Believe me, I was just as frustrated as you are, and it took a lot of searching on the net to find the problem. Apparently it's very common in jeeps as well as other trucks.

i have exactly the same thing in my 99 with 67000 miles.... i gave up on it and just drive with a lighter foot.... F'in thing!!

Matt is right!
It's not related to the 8.25. My '01 used to do the same thing as well as a friend who has a '97. When we went to the SYE conversion the problem went a way. I was also told by a service tech. that the problem was the same as Matt described.

Heres a real kicker I have a 95 and a sye and it still clunks after a while, it seemed to be the ubolts loosening up (I thought) but checked them recently and their still tight...I couldnt figure it out and still nothing has broken so I aint worried(yet)..
themud
luck

Do you have a trac lok limited slip? My dealer recommemded I run two bottles of the jeep-specific friction modifier when I had the same problem and it cured it immediately. However they could not tell me why it was clunking in the first place or why more friction modifier would make it stop.

DS Clunk

Mine did the same thing and I was also lead to believe it was the Chrysler 8.25 but when I put on the SYE and DS all is quite and wonderful again.

Searched this today and my 99 and my friends 99 both do the exact same thing coming from a stop. I think its the drum assemblies sticking....I've had the Jeep almost 10 years and it's always done it. Never gotten better or worse. New drums to be installed soon, will post the results.

If your 1996-2001 XJ gives you a little thump when you stop or just when you get going again, grease the rear output yoke on the T-Case.

Yes, old vehicles with high mileage develop excessive play in the differential. It is common, normal, and not harmful. Like they say, It's a Jeep thing.

Last edited:
Had a clunk on my 98 and it ended up being the auto adjusters for the rear drum brakes. Throw your Jeep in reverse, back up about 40 feet and hit the brakes firmly (Don't lock up). This will adjust the rear drums. I did this on my XJ twice and the clunk has been gone ever since.

Back