• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winter projects

MountainGoat

NAXJA Forum User
I am already starting to collect items for the winter projects. Today I went to a salvage yard and asked if I could look around for hood vents... well all the turbo'd vehicles with hood vents or fender vents were stripped... no brainer there... but they just got in a nice looking 1980 280Z.... I bought the hood vents from it for 10 bucks... also got some fender vents from another car for ten bucks..... and I bought some items to run my intake higher.... and some sound dampening materials from this place

http://www.soundproofing.org/

... going to do the hood and firewall as well as the rest of the cabin.

Well got to run... was just happy about the hood vents.

MountainGoat said:
...for the winter projects. QUOTE]

What's Winter? :dunno:

Bent said:
MountainGoat said:
...for the winter projects. QUOTE]

What's Winter? :dunno:

That's the two months out of the year in southern California that the mountains sometimes have snow. You know, snow, the cold, white stuff on the ground.

Winter's the time we wheel here in SoCal because the desert's too damn hot in the summer.

I'll be building up my d44, hopefully finishing my tire carrier and rock rails.

Re: Winter projects (Q's on Parts)

Ok... so Im still lookin around for parts for this winter's project on my 88 XJ Limited Edition. I was thinking about just forking out the cash for OME system but if those that have gone the cheap route say they work just as well as an OME then Im up for saving some cash.

http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm

Here are the springs I am thinking about getting from JC Whiteny.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ProductDisplay/c-10108/s-10101/p-273409/mediaCode-ZX/appId-250186

Never delt with JC Whiteny so dont know what kinda quality to expect. Would like to get some feedback from the list. My springs have almost 170K miles on them.... and I cant see using a set from a junk yard and combining them.. Was hoping a new cheap set would work just as well as a new OEM stock set.

Here are the front Coils I am thinking about getting:

XJ Heavy Duty Coil from Autozone or the Grand Cherokee V8 coils. They are both the same price. Like 70 something bucks for a set of two. Not sure which to go with being someone added they used the XJ HD front coils and gained like 2 inches. They got their at Carquest.

people are getting rid of stock spring packs free all the time when they upgrade with a kit and get new springpacks. look in the for sale forum, rolled/parted xj's work well for this as well....

good luck!

great write up btw...

Back