• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire size to Lift size

rockchucker

NAXJA Forum User
I have searched all over and had no real luck with picking my new tires. Here is the deal I got a 96 XJ with 3 inches of lift, front springs and lower arms by Rough Country, Rear aal with extra helper leaf. I have been looking at 15, 16 inch rims and 31-33 inch tires. If you have a great combo that you have used that would be great. The problem I am running into is backspacing on the rims to make sure no rubbing on LCA's Fenders. I realize that I will need to trim parts on fenders. Pics would be great for help.:guitar:

I run 3 inches of lift with 32x11.5 KM2's on 15x7's with 4"bs and generous trimming and proper bumpstopiing. If you're afraid of trimming don't run 32's. But if you plan to wheel it you'll want to do some trimming anyways. I have very minimal rubbing but thats because i still have stock CA's

Mine is the one on the left:
S7301020.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that looks really good. I am looking at a set of 31X10.50 Goodyear Dura Tracs and a set of 31X9.50 TSL radials. Rims ??? until I can figure out tires

Thanks, the wheels are Cragar Soft 8's. I would recommend KM2's over either of those tires though.

How much driving on snow and highway do you do? I read a ton of reviews and the KM2 did not do so well in snow.
I drive it every day. The tires ride smooth on the interstate and for an MT are fairly quiet.I have not had them in snow yet. If your used to driving on a street radial tire they are a big improvement in traction over those in snow. MT's are sketchy on ice no matter what brand. If you plan on wheeling a lot don't waste money on an All terrain. If you plan on wheeling 1 maybe 2 times a year then yeah go all terrain. I hardly ever have to put my jeep in 4wd in the winter around here.....Colorado is probably a different story! Lots of mud around here so I opted for a mud terrain. I'm building it to haul a trailer/small boat, Get me to the good fishing holes, and drive to Moab and back and come back in one piece. This is the best tire i have ran since i started wheeling. Previously I have ran Treadwrights and Kumho Road Venture MT's, while both were great neither of them have impressed me like the KM2.

Last edited:
OP
In theory, with enough trimming/bumpstoping you can run 33+ on your lift.
31's are great, no need to spend MORE just cuz the tires slightly larger.

I drive it every day. The tires ride smooth on the interstate and for an MT are fairly quiet.I have not had them in snow yet. If your used to driving on a street radial tire they are a big improvement in traction over those in snow. MT's are sketchy on ice no matter what brand. If you plan on wheeling a lot don't waste money on an All terrain. If you plan on wheeling 1 maybe 2 times a year then yeah go all terrain. I hardly ever have to put my jeep in 4wd in the winter around here.....Colorado is probably a different story! Lots of mud around here so I opted for a mud terrain. I'm building it to haul a trailer/small boat, Get me to the good fishing holes, and drive to Moab and back and come back in one piece. This is the best tire i have ran since i started wheeling. Previously I have ran Treadwrights and Kumho Road Venture MT's, while both were great neither of them have impressed me like the KM2.
Bolded statement:

REALLY?!
I off-road pretty often, and never needed more than an Aggressive AT tire. It all depends on the type of wheeling/off-road and weather conditions as to whether Something more aggressive is necessary.
Even with rock crawling, there are plenty of guys who run AT tires.

OP

Bolded statement:

REALLY?!
I off-road pretty often, and never needed more than an Aggressive AT tire. It all depends on the type of wheeling/off-road and weather conditions as to whether Something more aggressive is necessary.

I agree with the bolded statment, I have wheeled a bunch with MTs & ATs, the all terrains just don't hold a candle offroad, rocks, mud or whatever.. They dont conform to the terrain the same, the clog up quickly & turn into racing slicks, the sidewalls generally are not as strong. Just my opinion...

Here in Colorado and Utah, all terrains work well. We don't have to deal with a lot of mud, but rather decomposed granite and big rocks. In Moab, the all terrains actually have superior traction.

OP

Bolded statement:

REALLY?!

Sorry, I should have said around here. I thought I edited that. Its just my opinion. We have Mud and lots of it here. CO is probably a bit different. Refer to the 3 muddy jeeps in the pic I posted previously and notice all were running MT's.

In Moab, the all terrains actually have superior traction.

I have heard this as well. Different terrains call for different setups. Guess I should pay attention more when i'm editing. :D

you might take a look at Treadwright tires... they will surprise you... a set of 4 31x10.5x15 can be at your door for like $450 or so

I am running the 285/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs... they measured 33.25 x 11.25 on a 16x8 wheel (got 4 of them delivered for only $520 to my door!!!)

you might take a look at Treadwright tires... they will surprise you... a set of 4 31x10.5x15 can be at your door for like $450 or so

I am running the 285/75/16 Treadwright Guard Dogs... they measured 33.25 x 11.25 on a 16x8 wheel (got 4 of them delivered for only $520 to my door!!!)

Also a great option! I was very happy with mine.

I'm loving my GY MTR Kevlars. Super quiet on the road, great traction in the dirt/rocks/sand, haven't seen much mud yet (there's parts of this desert that haven't seen rain in 10 years).

I have 3 inchs of lift and have trimed 3-4"s of fender off front AND rear so theoretically (from someone else running a similar setup) what size tire could I run (being the biggest I could go) ???

I have 3 inchs of lift and have trimed 3-4"s of fender off front AND rear so theoretically (from someone else running a similar setup) what size tire could I run (being the biggest I could go) ???

Look at the picture I posted on the first page, Thats 3" lift and 32's with generous trimming.

Back