• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np242 shift ?s

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
didn't want to clog the other info thread on this unless someone thinks it worth moving.

I'm trying to understand why shifting the TC between 4L/N causes a slip/catch issue. Its like somethings spinning inside there and its scraping just before engaging. What is going on here?

shifting is occasionally a little rough recently. (boostwerks linkage) nothing loose, just kinda odd that its doing this now with all the other junk ive got going on.

Anyway, I suspect Ill need to rebuild finally, how does one pull the bearing out of the front TC shell half, what is used to grab this?

If you're got an automatic, when you put the xfer case in neutral the input shaft will freewheel. So shifting from N into 4L or 4H will have some catching as the gears mesh up and the input shaft gets engaged again.

Regarding shifting between 4H & 4L, remember than Neutral is in-between them, the shift fork is spring loaded and we're dealing with splined shafts and couplers here. So for instance, when you move the shifter from 4H clear to 4L, if the splines don't line up perfectly, the spring gets compressed instead. Then when the splines line up perfectly, the spring will force the shift fork to move the coupler(s), shifting to the next "gear", which in this case example, may only be to FT 4H or Neutral. Then when the splines line up for the next "gear", the coupler(s) shifts and so on until it gets to the selected "gear". Typically this happens fairly quickly and is barely noticeable but honestly I don't know that I've ever gone from 4H to 4L all in one action. 2WD to FT 4H to PT 4H involves movement of 1 coupler. 2WD/FT4H/PT4H to Neutral to 4L involves movement of a 2nd coupler.

Regarding the front input bearing, after you remove the retainer from the front and the snap ring holding the input shaft, the input bearing basically just falls out. May need a little persuasion from the backside but it's not a pressed fit... The only bearing that's a PITA is the blind roller bearing on the "backside" of the front output shaft. I didn't replace it when I rebuilt mine...

Note, you MUST have the proper set of retaining ring pliers for this job. A 2nd set of hands is almost required. I've gotten lucky and was able to do it alone but I count my blessings on that one.

There's a synchro in the 242 differential for changing between 2H, 4H, and AWD, which helps to keep the teeth of the gears lined up while you are shifting. But there is no synchro for low-range, so that will be grind them until you find them on the teeth.

The "blind roller bearing" is the one I think I'm referencing. It sits flush on the case half with no visible way to catch and retrieve the bearing.

Is the shifting issue a condition of the synchro wearing down? Ive never had this grinding issue until very recently, its not horrendous, but it wasn't there before. As you all speak of this, its sounds normal, just not for me haha. Ill check the linkage, perhaps its due for an adjustment, though it worked great before wheeling.

I have snap ring pliers and lock ring pliers. I'm unfamiliar with retaining ring pliers, but I intend to replace the chain and possibly input/output bearings, and shift fork pads just because it'll be open.

Shifting the NP/NV242J Selec-Trac Transfer Case

2WD Position
This position is for driving on hard-surfaced roads under normal driving conditions when 4-wheel drive is not desired.

4x4 PART TIME Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when on-or off-road conditions such as deep snow or heavy ice require increased traction. When engaged, both the front and the rear axles are mechanically locked together and turn at the same speed. Do not use 4x4 PART TIME on dry, paved roads.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 PART TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 PART TIME is selected.

4x4 FULL TIME Position
This is the primary 4-wheel drive position, which offers better traction when roads are wet, snow covered or icy. When engaged, the front and rear wheels axles are permitted to turn at different speeds to enhance maneuverability. Use 4x4 FULL TIME year-round on all road surfaces if you wish.

To engage, shift transfer case from 2WD to 4x4 FULL TIME while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed. When shifting, do it in a swift and firm movement.

When shifting from 2WD through 4x4 PART TIME to 4x4 FULL TIME, two momentary releases of the accelerator may be required after shifting.

A green FULL TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4x4 FULL TIME is selected.

4 LO Position
This position is designed for temporary use of 4-wheel drive when off-road conditions require added low speed pulling power. Do not use 4 LO on dry, paved roads.

To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h), shift the transmission into Neutral (N), then shift the transfer case lever to Neutral, then to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4 LO.

Never attempt to engage Low Range when the vehicle is moving faster than 2-3 mph (3-5 km/h). Transfer case damage may result.

An amber PART TIME lamp will illuminate on the instrument cluster when 4 LO is selected.

Back