• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Universal tire carriers

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Following on from this thread, I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on universal-fit tire carriers - you know, they type that are designed to bolt to a regular C-channel truck bumper. I found this, which looked fine until I talked to the company selling them; apparently they aren't meant to hold more than about 45lbs. total weight. Not so good if you're intending to put a larger-than-stock tire on it.

Basically, I'd like something that swings either to the side or outward, can cope with heavier tires, and has a universal-fit for the lugs. The idea is ultimately to bolt it via a bracket to the existing hitch bolts in the frame rail with a couple more securing it through the bumper. I'd really prefer to not have the added weight or expense of a custom rear bumper (and ones that slot into the receiver suck from the standpoint of having to fully remove it every time you open the hatch, as well as losing departure angle), so if anyone has any recommendations I'd love to see them.

Last edited:
Back