• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question about 4.10 rear axle options

VanDerKen

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, here's what I have: an '87 Pioneer with a straight 6, automatic, 242 transfer case, dana 30 front, and dana 44 rear with a limited slip (both axles are running 3.55's).

What I'm looking for is some input on getting 4.10 gearing into the rear axle on a "corn-nut" budget. The front will likely be a swap in from the wrecking yard.

options are:
- bite the bullet and change the carrier on the 44 and do a re-gear?
- buy a set of thick gears for the 44 and continue to use the original carrier?
- swap in a Ford 8.8 with 4.10's in it (upside is disc brakes and a stock limited slip)?
- look for the rumored MJ dana 44 with stock 4.10's and swap that in?
- sell the Heep and buy a 4x4 Geo Metro?

Mind you that this is just a Q/A session and have nothing planned just yet. Heck, I don't even have the money to consider doing anything. So let your opinions and ideas flow.

Finding a used 8.25 would probably be the cheapest. You could do disc swap as well. Some say the D44 is better than the 8.25, but IMO they are pretty close.

True about the 8.8, I pulled one for my brother to do a swap into his own Cherokee that was a 4.10 with a limited slip standard, but his out of pocket cost is a little more than what I was hoping to do (drive shaft flange yoke, spring kit, brake lines and parking brake, shocks...).

I had not considered an 8.25 as being a candidate for 4.10's (will have to do some extra research).

True about the 8.8, I pulled one for my brother to do a swap into his own Cherokee that was a 4.10 with a limited slip standard, but his out of pocket cost is a little more than what I was hoping to do (drive shaft flange yoke, spring kit, brake lines and parking brake, shocks...).

I had not considered an 8.25 as being a candidate for 4.10's (will have to do some extra research).
As far as the C8.25 goes, any gear ratios our XJ's use, there is no carrier break. So you can use the stock carrier for any gear set you want. Some had LSD, but you can go with a lunchbox locker.

i'd go the 8.8 route. hard to fine one with 4.10s but in the end you have disc brakes also which is a nice bonus.

I guess that depends where you look. They seemed to be pretty plentiful in my neck of the woods when I was searching for them. I got mine from the Pull a Part for under $100 complete.

Take your time and search around the local wrecking yards. Bound to be some somewhere. Just remember with the 8.8 you need to plan to spend some cash getting it set up (spring brackets and shock mounts and such) unless you can cut and weld it yourself.

The Ford Explorer door tags are so informative when it comes to the axle types, find the right axle code and likely you'll find what you're looking for.

I wasn't thinking much about a locker but if the situation presents itself I may.

What I'm looking for is some input on getting 4.10 gearing into the rear axle on a "corn-nut" budget. The front will likely be a swap in from the wrecking yard.

Did I miss something?

You want to put 4.10's in the rear, and leave the 3.55's in front?

I read his OP as he was going to get a 4.10 front from an equipped XJ and then upgrade the rear. That is how I did mine...found a 4.10 front from a 1986 and went from there...so maybe I just assumed he was following the same path.

Theres no way in hell I would give up a D44 for a C8.25 or a 8.8! The carriers are dirt cheap or just buy the thick gears.

Thanks for the back up Cottontail, that was pretty much the idea that I had too. There is the option of just running a 2x4 and use the front drive shaft as a rear hatch rod, but then what would be the fun in that?

RCP, thanks for the vote of confidence in the 44 plan. You are my hero for the moment (the wife is the hero for the evening since she just made dinner).

if you're not wheelsing it why not just pull the front axles and have a 2 wheel drive? that shuold save you some cash. or even easier just pull the front driveshaft

Take one of those 44's hiding behind your garage, throw in some 4:10's and a detroit and call it done. Once I get a free weekend, I'll shop around for a front end for you.

xoxo

Cliff

Cliff

What? I don't know what you are talking about. Those alleged axles you may be refering to are intended as stocking stuffers for Christmas. As I can tell you may have hit Santa's s*** list :rtm:

You may be getting a lump of something and it may not be a lump of hydrocarbons.

Back