NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 18th, 2018, 10:55
web wheeler

Re: XJ radiators, a review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasdb View Post
Silicate drop out. Ethylene or Propylene Glycol has a two year shelf life from the date of manufacture. There is a date code on the bottle. When the coolant is spent, it degrades and the corrosion inhibitors can contribute to
cooling problems by plugging cores and preventing heat transfer.

OAT and Hoat have a 5 year shelf life, I haven't seen any issues with them yet and cooling systems look pretty darn clean.

I got to learn a lot about coolant when I bought my 6.0 Powerstroke. That thing has an oil cooler in the valley that is susceptible to plugging and creating a whole slew of problems. I've been switching everything to CAT EC-1 coolant including the jeep.

Just ordered a Mishimoto, going to compare it to my 5+ year old Griffin direct fit. It appears to have about 24% more cooling area just based on tube count/size.

Griffin has 23 rows of 1.5" tube (38.1mm) while the Mishi has 26 rows of dual 22mm. Also ordered a Trinity fan controller from Nick.
Old October 18th, 2018, 12:41
Stranger

Where are you sourcing that stuff?

Is there any difference between Cat ELC and Cat EC1?

Is this Cat coolant used in semi tractors? I have a neighbor who might be able to get me good pricing if so.

I will eventually be starting fresh with a stoker from Russ. I have been running HP Gold/Quantum Blue in The Bride's Impala SS and the Suburban. I have the dually on Fleet. Getting everything on one coolant would be convenient.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old October 18th, 2018, 13:07
web wheeler

Picked up a case from socal fuels. Have the Chevron Delo ELC concentrate, it was 13/gallon. ELC is just Extended Life Coolant. CAT EC1 is the specification that Caterpillar calls for. That's what I converted the truck to. Peak Final Charge ELC is also an EC1 rated coolant and available at O'Reilly's and Walmart. Just make sure to flush the system really well and run some distilled water through it a few times. Also if you do Amsoil, they have the red stuff too.

And Mishimotos are backordered, go figure.
Old October 18th, 2018, 19:40
Stranger

Got it.

I saw the Delo was readily available, but thought maybe the Cat branded stuff was superior. I will check with my neighbor and see if he gets a price break somewhere.

Thank you.

Good for Mishimoto if their sales are exceeding expectations. That is probably good for us too. Means we have a good chance of staying on their radar.

Baby it's cold outside.
Old October 19th, 2018, 09:23
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
Just ordered a Mishimoto, going to compare it to my 5+ year old Griffin direct fit. It appears to have about 24% more cooling area just based on tube count/size.

Is there something wrong with your Griffin?
Old October 19th, 2018, 10:43
web wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronbo View Post
Is there something wrong with your Griffin?

Jeep gets warm on the trail, 4.7 stroker in it now. Not overheating warm, but if it's going slow it will bounce off the fan a bit and I have to turn off the AC. The griffin is the smaller of the 2 radiators they offer as I didn't want to deal with modifying the core support.
Old October 19th, 2018, 15:13
NAXJA Forum User

i'm just going to accept the heat this engine generates at this point. i have done 80% of everything one would do to fix high temps during climbing. The mishimoto performs excellently keeping the engine at a solid 205-210 while idling at any ambient temp.

climbing in a low gear just up 2 on asphalt free here will eventually get me warm enough to turn the e fan on. 218-223. then the thermostat is fully open, then the temp goes back down. that's what it seems it's made to be and wants to be, and i'm gonna live with it.
Old October 19th, 2018, 23:14
web wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
i'm just going to accept the heat this engine generates at this point. i have done 80% of everything one would do to fix high temps during climbing. The mishimoto performs excellently keeping the engine at a solid 205-210 while idling at any ambient temp.

climbing in a low gear just up 2 on asphalt free here will eventually get me warm enough to turn the e fan on. 218-223. then the thermostat is fully open, then the temp goes back down. that's what it seems it's made to be and wants to be, and i'm gonna live with it.
That is normal. I'm thinking of kicking on the electric fan at a lower temperature to maybe keep it from creeping up to 215-220. My problem is air flow at low speed. If I toss it in neutral and bring the rpms up above 1500 then it cools down pretty fast. I keep pondering the thought of dual 10" spals as the jeep is fine 190ish if it's moving at speeds where the fan won't help. But previous people have had trouble with electrics, however I don't think anyone has tossed a big radiator like the mishimoto on it with good electrics. My neighbor has a 60's falcon with 5.0/5 speed conversion and dual 10" spals without issue, that's how I know they move a ton of air. Anyway I ordered a trinity v2 fan controller from nick in time to control the stock fan. Pretty slick fan controller.

Mark
Old October 20th, 2018, 09:10
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markw View Post
That is normal. I'm thinking of kicking on the electric fan at a lower temperature to maybe keep it from creeping up to 215-220. My problem is air flow at low speed. If I toss it in neutral and bring the rpms up above 1500 then it cools down pretty fast. I keep pondering the thought of dual 10" spals as the jeep is fine 190ish if it's moving at speeds where the fan won't help. But previous people have had trouble with electrics, however I don't think anyone has tossed a big radiator like the mishimoto on it with good electrics. My neighbor has a 60's falcon with 5.0/5 speed conversion and dual 10" spals without issue, that's how I know they move a ton of air. Anyway I ordered a trinity v2 fan controller from nick in time to control the stock fan. Pretty slick fan controller.

Mark
I would really like to make a controller for the e fan as well on my stock setup. I read over the large instructional thread here and it is really far outside my capability of electronics to take on a project like that though. I have a rav 4, a toyota prius, and drive a friends tacoma sometimes on trips. all of the yotas i've driven including land cruisers run between 180-195 normally. I have to imagine the longevity of their engines has something to do with that.
Old October 20th, 2018, 09:11
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyS View Post
I would really like to make a controller for the e fan as well on my stock setup. I read over the large instructional thread here and it is really far outside my capability of electronics to take on a project like that though. I have a rav 4, a toyota prius, and drive a friends tacoma sometimes on trips. all of the yotas i've driven including land cruisers run between 180-195 normally. I have to imagine the longevity of their engines has something to do with that.
No. Considering how many 4.0's do 300K+.

If you run your 4.0 at 180, its going to stay in open look trying to warm up to 195+ where it wants to run, and will burn up your cat.

You see those cars "last longer" because they weigh half what we do and aren't abused offroad.
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:00
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal View Post
Accomodations for the renix temp sensor again. I like this.

Comes with a cap, and at 19 psi, giving you an extra 9* of cooling before boiling over.

Two questions:

Has anyone pulled the plug for the RENIX fan switch to see how far back the transmission heat exchanger sits? My primary concern is coolant flow around the switch.

If I were to discover the need for a new radiator cap on a Sunday afternoon, what should I ask for at my local auto parts?
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:25
NAXJA Warranty Voider

I believe the cap is a standard Denso (mini) cap. Original equipment on Honda's and the like. I had a griffin that used it as well.

I'll confirm that at some point and get a part # up here. But I'm betting you could find a 16 or 19 psi cap for almost any import and use it.

There is also a smaller standard (micro) that is VERY similar.
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:58
NAXJA Member

19psi is on the margin of high, might force a leak in the heater core or a hose junction somewhere
Old October 21st, 2018, 09:59
NAXJA Warranty Voider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
19psi is on the margin of high, might force a leak in the heater core or a hose junction somewhere
I've been running a 20 psi cap for the last 6 years with no problem.

If it leaks at 20, its going to leak at 16.
Old October 21st, 2018, 10:24
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehall View Post
The RENIX pressure cap is 19lb., the highly recommended Stant replacement is around 21lb.