NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old May 2nd, 2007, 17:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Fuel tank capacity mod

That might be, but as the only difference between the small and the big tank is the tube and the sending unit, it's not a pollution cause, rather a fix to get the tank of the 20 gallon version.

If I tried to get like 23 gallons in the tank, it could spill just like gojeep's page states; however until the 20 gallons, I believe it's not risky at all.

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by techno1154
That tube in the tank is put there as an anti-pollution device. It essentially limits the amount of gas in the tank and maintain a sufficient air space that allows for expansion of the gas on a hot day without it overflowing and spilling on the ground there by causing polution and a potentially dangerous situation lik a fire risk ect;ect;ect.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 18:11
NAXJA Forum User

I pulled the tank and got my hand in there with a hacksaw blade (also no gas at all in there with plenty o rags to catch shavings) and cut it off then used a larger sized bent tube and JB welded it in in the up position. I can now fill my tank just about to the top.
Old May 3rd, 2007, 01:48
NAXJA Forum User

The filings could be picked up with a magnet afterwards too. The filter sock should stop anything being pulled into the system as well.
I dont think a tube cutter would work as I dont think there is enough room to go all the way around.
Still wondering too how will PVC go in petrol for long periods?
Old May 3rd, 2007, 07:34
NAXJA Forum User

I'm not sure either, will leave it that way for a while, then when I have some time, will check it out again and see how it goes.

I found these links for PVC fuel lines; I know it's not exactly the same kind of PVC, but it seems as if it will work fine:

http://www.psep.biz/store/fuel_accessories.htm
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...pvc_fuel_line/

Regards
Old May 3rd, 2007, 14:35
NAXJA Forum User

I modified my tank using 1/2 inch copper water tubing. I soldered a short straight piece (measured and cut for 23+ gallons, see Go-Jeep for distance to the top of the tank) to a 90 degree elbow. The open end of the elbow needed to be flared a tiny bit to fit snugly over the vent tube. JB Weld to holds it on the vent tube. I had my wife fit it in the tank, because I like the hair on my arms.

If you have the "small" tank, TWO 90's might work better.

400+ miles on a road trip is sure nice. I don't push my luck with getting it too full unless we are heading out of town.
Old March 13th, 2019, 02:23
NAXJA Forum User

Hi guys,

I'm a noob here and I know this thread last got a mention 13 years ago.... but I want t do this mod and the gojeep site does not exist any more. Does anyone have the details from the article that used to exist or able to point me to where I might find it. I have a used tank arriving in a couple of days and want to get it to max capacity before I fit it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie.
Old March 13th, 2019, 07:32
Stranger

The gojeep site is not exactly gone, it has just moved to a new domain. Links are all going to be dead, but you should still be able to hunt up information here: http://gojeep.willyshotrod.com

There are also other threads for this mod, such as this one: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=982403

Baby it's cold outside.
Old March 13th, 2019, 10:55
NAXJA Member # 13

Also, this ZJ tank swap for late model XJs, plus vent mod for a true 25 gal tank capacity

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1131307

Last edited by XJEEPER; March 13th, 2019 at 10:59.
Old March 14th, 2019, 04:41
NAXJA Forum User

Thanks everso much, that is a real help. I searched previously but could not see the thread.