NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old January 16th, 2019, 21:37
NAXJA Forum User

My WJ pump experience

Hey guys I always find great info here so I thought I might share. I purchased a psc pump to put on my rig. I could not come up with a suitable solution to keep the remote reservoir under the hood. I will address this later when its not snowing. So I needed a solution to make my current set up work. Tera 60 front one ton chevy steering 37's. So I did a lot of research into the wj pump upgrade. I read post after post of the pump whining and not ever bleeding. Even without drilling the pump fitting which is where the power really comes from.

So I had a thought why not just tee the return fittings? For those who don't know the factory wj's with a 4.7 had a hydraulic driven fan with two return ports on the reservoir one from the gear one from the fan. This setup was designed to move a lot of volume so it needs a lot of return. So here is what I did. I used two 16mmx1.5 to male 6 an/jic psc number SF02 for the gear and 18mmx1.5 to male 6 an/jic for the pump psc number SF01. This will allow you to use any combination of an/jic and pipe adapters you choose. This set up works great.

This bled within 20 seconds of being started and has not made a peep yet. Turns 37's in the snow like your on flat dry ground. I even drilled the pressure fitting to 5/32. I am going to hydro assist soon so I may mess with the size of the fitting up to maybe 3/16. I will try to keep you updated. I could not find a single post were anyone had tried this. so far It works. I hope this may help someone down the road.

Also if you were to route the hoses slightly different you could easily run a stock air box. I have a rusty's style tube with cone filter and it clears. Any questions feel free to message me.
Old January 21st, 2019, 08:23
NAXJA Member # 13

Re: My WJ pump experience

Nice!
Old March 9th, 2019, 20:57
NAXJA Forum User

So quick update. I was able to wheel this combo at Sand Hollow this last weekend. The difference is amazing I can turn my front wheels with it locked! I could get it pretty bound up as well and no sweat. It's so much better I may now go to a psc big bore box instead of hydro assist. Very pleased with how well it performed.

Old March 13th, 2019, 12:53
NAXJA Member

I put a wj pump on my one ton swapped 98 xj with hydro assist. Used the drilled out fitting from my xj power steering pump. I didn't have any issue bleeding the system. And it doesn't make any noise. I capped off the 1/2" return line bung and used the 3/8" return line