• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

exhaust manifold stud removal

2xtreme

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed that I have a exhaust leak under the hood. After inspection it turns out that the rear most stud (closest to the fire wall) is missing. So I got a new bolt and could not get it to thread. I checked and it seems like there is no hole for it to thread into.

So, I assume that the stud broke off and left the rest of the stud in the whole flush or very close to flush with the block. I am familar with removal of exhaust studs and know that it will most likely need to be "easy outed" out. however it looks like I will not be able to get to it with the engine in place. Anyone ever had this problem? If I remove the intake and exhaust manifolds do you think that I will be able to drill and use a easy out without removing the whole engine. There does not seem to be much room between the engine block and the fire wall?

Thanks for any help

Michael

After you get the manifolds removed, find a 90 degree adapter for your drill, it helps, but is still a tight fit....... oh why is it always the worst one to get to that always breaks.

Back