• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

timing chain and gears

clean4drxj

NAXJA Forum User
i'm going to be replacing mine eventually when I reseal my engine whats a good brand for the 4.0 ?, I prefer a double roller kit and I was looking at hesco's.

Cloyes double roller 3127. Hesco's double is a 3127 but with an extra hole and for more money.

Have not been successful double roller chains and gears for my 2000-2001 4.0s, only stock single roller types. Chrysler changed the cam.
Anyone have a source?

No, only stock style for the 99+(?) timing chain with the retaining plate. The stock one isn't bad.. its a silent link chain which is fairly strong and technically takes up slack while it is running. I'm running on on my stroker w/ custom cam and have no problems. IIRC mine is a cloyes unit.

What's a good mileage to replace a timing chain? Any symptoms that indicate it should be swapped?

Mileage is a bad indicator of timing chain wear. You have two options. 1) Take the cover off and measure slack. More than 1/4" is too much. 2) Remove the spark plugs. Rotate engine until the TDC mark on the balance is at 0* or close on the timing cover. Rotate the engine CCW until you feel the timing chain tension. The bottom end will rotate fairly easy compared to the chain. Take note of there the TDC indicator is. Now rotate again until you feel the chain tension. The difference if how many degrees the crank rotated until the slack is taken up. 4 to 7 degrees is normal. More than 10 and the chain should be replaced.

As in fuel mileage? I get about 20 on the highway but when puting around town or wheeling it dips to the very low teens sometimes down lower than 10 mpg.

Ah. Engine was swapped in earlier in the year. It's a 90k mile engine out of a salvage xj.

Back