• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Center console swap

Mighty.Mighty_XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys
Can someone tell me if there's any reason I can't swap a full length center console from a pre '97 XJ into a '98?
I've thought long & hard about the possibility of losing those delightful built-in cup holders in the '98 & I am satisfied that the Tuffy security console insert in my '92 is a more valuable mod. But I dunno if the entire assembly will simply swap into a '98. I'm pretty sure that the Tuffy insert will not fit into the newer stock console.
Thoughts anyone?

Another option to keeping this mod that I have got very used to over the years is finding a Tuffy Security console from another model of Jeep (I'm guessing most likely one intended for a TJ?) that would fit in an XJ. A steel locking security easily accessible from driver seat is something I have grown accustomed to in my '92 and I'd like to have that in my '98.
Thanks for viable suggestions!

Pic shows the console assembly in my '92 XJ. Kinda rare, the Tuffy is bolted to the inside of the stock console, increasing usable space & providing security for ... well ... private stuff.

huskysec2.jpg

At this point in time, my swap is going the other direction. The parking brake handle is mounted in a slightly different location, and the heater duct for the rear foot-wells is different.

Mighty.Mighty_XJ said:
Can someone tell me if there's any reason I can't swap a full length center console from a pre '97 XJ into a '98?
If you are any part Irish: YOU CAN'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

I'll be looking forward to the pictures of how you did it. :)

Well, thank goodness I'm zero parts Irish!!
This plan could take a while. I actually made a deposit on a '98 XJ just yesterday, and one of the things holding me back from picking it up is the real possibility of losing my security box. Yeah I know, a bit silly, but we all have our quirks. I'm hoping to hear from some fearless creative soul that it's been done .... and that it was a "piece of cake"!
Gotta be someone out there ... I mean, I've seen guys swap ZJ information centers into an XJ, and build all sorts of crazy stuff to the interior. WHERE ARE YOU?!!

Last edited:
I used some scrap steel and built my own console lock-box that is bolted to floor. Total cost was under $40.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

The lock box replaces the stock plastic tray and has +60% more capacity. A small L shaped bracket and two self-tapping screws stopped the plastic console from wiggling.

Got it. I misunderstood. Thought the box sat directly on and was bolted to to the floor. Still nice work.

I used some scrap steel and built my own console lock-box that is bolted to floor. Total cost was under $40.

standard.jpg
Well, I can't do that since I can't weld. But I'd like to see more pics of your finished product. Might be able to find a fabricator somewhere down here. Thanks for the idea!

Back