• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Random stalling

96killgore

NAXJA Forum User
1996 xj classic, 4.0 inline 6, aw4 4x4, 255k original miles, left hand drive, no engine codes
So im stuck on what my problem could me, a few weeks ago i was at half a tank (fuel gauge is accurate along with i track miles with every fill up, and i use 93 octane fuel) but i started to hear a werid noise ive never heard before. Right between the driver side long skinny a/c vent, next to window, and kinda behind the instrument panel i heard a noise that sounded like a big vacuum trying to pull in air (it kinda sounded like a cold air intake attached to a turbo not thr whine but the sheer force of air veing forced into a large hose) but when this happened ny rpms went from idle (1300 rpms) all the way up to 2500 rmps and it started to accelerate like i was pushing on the gas. I was in a parking lot so i started to add brake to stop and it kept trying to accleratr forward never going over 2500 rpms but when i stopped the engine died. Then it started up and i drove it home next day same thing happens but i was able to slam on it and make it to a gas station where i filled it up. It died again but started right up and drove fine rest of day. Next day i took it to my buddys shop where we did fuel pressure test, fuel pressure we good along with the vacuum pressure. And from what i could tell throttle body looked good and throttle position sensor was fine. It ran a week fine and today i started it up, i park on level surface, the same noise came up but i was at more then 3/4 a tank. When i filled it up i revved it with throttle and it almost died again rpms droped o 650rpms for 5-7sec then returned to normal i then oppened hood and revved it at throttle body and had no problems and drove home 10miles away. So the only time it dies is when i hear that werid vaccum noise in the dash behind instrument panel and that is my only lead but i cant think of anything else that could help identify it please help (noise has been there when ac is running and not running)

93 octane is wasting your money. Without looking under the hood of your Cherokee one might suppose that there is an intermittent vacuum leak of some sort, perhaps the power brake booster, based upon the location of the noise. A general wiggle n pull physical/visual inspection of all the vacuum hoses and hose connections should be the first thing to do. Make sure the throttle body operates smoothly with no binding of the butterfly valve, make sure the cruise control is not malfunctioning, and consider that the Idle Air Controller may be faulty.

Last edited:
Could be your evap line from your fuel tank. It runs off of vacuum. Check all your vac lines when cold and then when hot.

Tim mentioned the brake booster. I've had them intermitantly leak when the brake was applied (on other vehicles, not XJs). That would explain the under-dash vacuum noise. Try pressing the brake pedal with engine idleing in park, and listen for a vacuum noise under the dash near the booster. Also look at the check valve on the booster.

Back