• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep XJ driver door compatibility 98 xj ltd

Paul80

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
I’m a new member from over the pond.
I’ve tried asking for advice on our forums but no one has tried this yet.
I want to replace the driver’s door on my jeep, because ... rust, and can’t find the correct year with the same paint code PCN. I did find a couple of 95 doors. Does anyone know I f I can take the stuff off my 98 door, including the exterior trim, window etc, and put it on a 95 door to make it look the same?
I’m worried about that split window and the wire holes etc.
Thanks

The compatible years are 97-01.

The 96 down doors will bolt on aside from the door latch striker post not lining up (which requires metal fab to either the door or the chassis to solve), but no, you cannot swap the glass, regulator, and inside trim panel/doorcard, at least without some sheetmetal work. It's possible if you really must but I would strongly recommend buying a 97-01 door as RCP said.

If you have to buy from overseas try and buy from a LHD country... just remember to specify a passenger door or "right hand door" rather than drivers door. Why? You will get a door which has a lot less wear and tear on it than a drivers door from an RHD country. You will have to swap the harness, mirror, and switch module, but the rest should be the same. I use this trick on 94 and earlier seat cushions, if I need a new drivers seat, I pull the lower cushion from the passenger side of a junkyard vehicle and put it on the drivers seat frame and back before buying it, because they have been tooted on a lot less and are generally in better shape as a result.

edit: if you have a mainland vacation coming up at any point, try bringing your tools and visiting scrapyards along the way! I do this every chance I get... if you leave the country with a door and come back with one, they won't check if it's the same one and you won't pay duties on it. Just remember to swap your lock cylinder over and retain your drivers door VIN+build date tag with the barcode in case it is needed.

Back