• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upper Shackle Bolt NUT BROKE

redyouch

NAXJA Forum User
the upper shackle welded nut broke off inside the frame. i have removed the bumper and see that there is a very small hole where the bolt is. i have tried getting a 21 mm socket in there, but i dont think that is the right size. does anyone know the correct size of the bolt, or have any suggestions on how to remove it? i was thinking of cutting off the head of the bolt and sliding it through, but i am not sure if i will be able to due to the length of it.

TIA

redyouch said:
the upper shackle welded nut broke off inside the frame. i have removed the bumper and see that there is a very small hole where the bolt is. i have tried getting a 21 mm socket in there, but i dont think that is the right size. does anyone know the correct size of the bolt, or have any suggestions on how to remove it? i was thinking of cutting off the head of the bolt and sliding it through, but i am not sure if i will be able to due to the length of it.

TIA
I think it's 13/16
try here and here
you can also try potentially wedging a piece of right sized flat stock on the bottom part of the nut against teh bottom of the frame rail.

a 22mm probably. Cutting a hole in from above is your best bet. Pretty easy probably too as you have pretty easy access there. Remove your hatch plate and the carpet and you have access.

i ended up cutting a small slit underneath the bolt "box" and then i slid a wrench up into it. some idiot stole my 13/16" wrench and sockets, so i was stuck using 21mm and 7/8s all day. somehow it worked...

It is a metric bolt (and a pain in the a$$). When I put those shackles in my rig (I'm guessing your putting in the ones I traded you... :wave: ) I got lucky and heat took off the bolt (which had broken in half) before it broke the nut off. When I went to put in my new leaves I had a main eye nut break off. I didn't feel like wasting time on it, so I just cut off the whole bulge that the nut was in, welded a new nut on the back side, and welded the bulge back onto the frame rail. Fast and easy!

Out of all the work on my rig, working with the nuts and bolts for the leaves has been the biggest problems...

Back