• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ground Locations: Where is G201?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
I have some sort of electrical gremlin running loose. I keep blowing fuse #2 in the fuse block (cigar lighter, LCD illumination, radio) and now have lost my dome lights (no fuses blown there however). Searching through the FSM it looks like G201 is common to those circuits. But where is that ground located?

I found Cruiser54's Renix info, but I don't see anything similar for the H.O. models.

Anybody have some clues they can toss my way?

ETA: 1996 Sport, 4.0L, AX-15. Manual everything (except steering).

Last edited:
Manual says it is near the driver door speaker. The diagram seem to indicate it is in the driver foot well near where his left foot rests. I would say it is on the wall/door post next to the fuse box.

Thank you.

Where are you finding that in the manual? I can't find anything that lists locations of components. Do you have a section number?

After fretting over schematics I did some more poking around with a test light and a couple of leads. Finally bumped something far enough in the dome light fixture such that it came on. It appears I need a new dome light. Somewhere between where the wire comes into the fixture and where the bulb clips in there is something loose.

I have never been impressed with that dome light anyways. Time to peruse the JY for an improved design. I am open to suggestions if anyone knows of something that works well.

And this still leaves the mystery of why I keep blowing fuse #2. I have a few variables I need to narrow down for that one now.

I have a CD that I hope have everything on the 1996 XJ.

It is in PDF format. It is found in '96XJ_8WL. PDF'. 8WL means section 8 wiring for the left hand drive XJ.

Oh. page 330 figure 4 if you have a similar CD as me,

The CD probably would have made the most sense, but I am about as backwards and old fashioned as one can get, so I have the paper version. Section 8 represents about a solid inch of pages, excluding the RHD pages. No numbers except for section numbers.

But you telling me it is in section 8 gave me enough impetus to go digging. That material is at the back of the section.

For the benefit of the next poor soul, or myself once I forget all about this (like next week), here is a quick rundown of where some of this information is buried in the paper manual:

8W-80-X--Connector Pin-outs

8W-90-X--Connector Locations

8W-95-X--Splice Locations

G201 is listed in with the connector locations on page 8W-90-3, described as being "Below Headlamp Switch" and as being shown on Figure 12. Figure 12 is in connector locations, page 8W-90-15 and appears to be a screw inserted into the lower part of the dash from below, that is to say it is in a section which would probably be right above your knees while driving. The picture illustrates it as being to the right, but the picture also looks reversed to me. I am going to guess it should be above the left knee, but I am not going to go out there and quest for it right now.

That location doesn't quite seem to coincide with what the CD is saying. I figure that is probably about par for the course for a '96. One of the two is probably right on about half of them, and vice-a-versa.

:rolleyes:

Thank you for the clues to help me dig my way through to the answers. Hopefully it will be useful to someone.

Back