• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

coil pack retro fit possible?

Cascade Carl

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at an AEM product called EPM that lets you update distributor type to cam sensor and COP ignition. It begs the question if the factory ignition components from a 2000+ 4.0 could be made to work with earlier OBD2 or even OBD1. Anyone have knowledge they can share? The appeal would be having a better? ignition system without having to deal with "extra" oxygen sensors that Jeep put in their vehicles at same time they went to COP. BTW AEM lists specific applications for their kit but Jeep 4.0 was not one of them.

Some 2000's have 2 O2 sensors and no pre-cats and some have 4 sensors and pre-cats at the exhaust manifold.

If you installed the needed parts, wire harness, and correct ECM, COP should work in an OBD-II Cherokee. I doubt COP would work or could be adapted to work with OBD-I or Renix.

Wow--really cool!

Only question I have is this--how would you get the PCM to fire the fuel injector pulse after you have eliminated the synch (cam) sensor from the distributor? Even the distributorless ignition 00-01 XJs still require the synch (cam) sensor in the oil pump drive for this function.

The EPM system won't work on any XJ.

I was envisioning using both the cam sense and coil packs from an 03 tj on earlier Jeep system. AEM seems to be doing same thing with other makes of vehicles. Kind of intriguing.

It sounds logical that if you swapped the harness, computer, related sensors and inputs that it should work. I guess there's only one way to find out right? Give it a try, if it worked you'd be the man. I mean really as long as it has all it's little inputs working it should work just fine right? You'd want to find a system that only uses 2 02 sensors though the 2000+ setup with the 3 cat and 4 02 sensors is a PITA, not to mention the cost of exhaust parts alone, used or not, it can't be cheap. Besides the header and 1 cat is a much better setup anyway maintenance wise and I'm sure it flows better.

The computer also drive the gauges on the late models. Just something to keep in mind,
I don't know the switch over year for this.

That doesn't make any sense, it has to read the sensors and control timing, fuel mixture etc plus look for faults.

what do you mean it makes no sense?
Late model XJ's use a data bus to control all of the gauges in the cluster, the ECU drives them all, previous models had separate senders for gauge functions and ECU functions.

SO swapping to stand alone engine management in a late model XJ is also going to require doing something about the gauges.

Back