• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BA10/5 area noise

Alaskan89XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Manual Transmission Symtoms;
In 2-Wheel drive, in neutral, or when I press the clutch "pedal down".., no noise.

In 2-Wheel drive, traveling down the road in; first, second, third, or fourth gears, (have not tried 5th, or reverse), i.e., with the "pedal up", a progressively louder sound of a combination of chirps, and a gravelly sound ensues. Traveling, and pressing down the clutch pedal, or going into neutral.., no noise.

At idle.., my first thought, miles ago, was a problem with the water pump bearings as the pulley gives a 1/16 of an inch laterally, hence my thinking was that the slight chirp was from it. The chirp would go silent after awhile, (minutes, or tens of minutes), i.e, at another place at idle, blah, blah. I have a replacement for that issue, (Rockauto).

However the noise has gotten much louder, and the chirp is masked now, or at the very least difficult to hear with the much louder sounds.

My second thought was that perhaps there is a problem with the throw-out, (release), bearing, arm, or some issue between the clutch/pressure plates. Defective hydraulic system actuation to the throw lever of the throw-out bearing?

However, I detect no slippages whatsoever, and the pedal travel seems to be just fine, i.e., no change for thousands of miles, and going up long steep grades at highway speed, no problem.., other than the constant gravelly sounds.

My third, and current thought is that the input shaft bearing of the transmission is going out.

My diagnostics have me confused. Any suggestions? I have a spare BA10/5, and would rather try that as a direct replacement if necessary. I'd rather do that than hunting down a Renix era specific AX15, and then the likely extra work at any other modifications, blah, blah. If I can eek another 75 k miles, that'd be good as I'd say the service life of the entire vehicle is way past it's half-life, lol, requiring a near complete restoration at that 300k mark.

I have not thought too much about it's OEM pilot bearing being at fault.

I'm done guessing, and hope others might chime in, i.e., those having had the very same symptoms, and thereby having pin-pointed the component at fault.

Won't be able to make any further diagnostic short runs in the Cherokee for a few days, but will.., taking down notes.

When my BA went, it was after a short (two weeks) of sticking IN gear, not going from gear to gear easily, not disengaging, making noise etc. Then one fine day the sumbitch just went ka-flooey. The clutch was super loose and when I took the front cover off, parts fell out. That was it.

I'm not saying all your troubles will be over with a "new" BA, but if you're under there fighting with a tranny swap, Id' sure go with a more reliable and stronger tranny and save myself the trouble. I'm pretty sure (not having a manual anymore) that a newer, external slave, non-Renix AX-15 is the way to go.

The grinding, growling, chirping sound, sounds a lot like the water pump/idler crooked/bearings gone etc.

I know there are guys out there who have no issues with their BA 10/5...but I think they're few and far between. It's a turd, in general of course, that's MY opinion.

So i currently have maybe the same problem or at the least very similar. When under load i get the rattling/horrible load sound but if i press in the clutch while its happeneing without changing the amount im pressing on the gas, it dissappears. My first thought was clutch or tranny issue since the sound left with the tranny and engine seperated(clutch pedal pressed in means things are spinning but not engaged) and my ba10 had approximately 175k on it including pretty jard offroad driving.

Here is the new problem with my theory. I just swapped to an ax15 and a different newer transfer case last week because my clutch gave out in the ba10 and i had an ax15 and better TC i was going to swap in a few months anyways.
So the sound is still there with a new clutch, a different stronger tranny, and i have also taken every nut and bolt off involved with the tranny swap and put them back on and correctly tightened.

So if we have the same problem i can eliminate(not neccessarily by choice with this swap very ill-timed in my life) the tranny, transfer case, exhaust, pilot bearing, flexplate.

Before this swap i did put the car on stands and run it in first gear and there were no sounds so mine definitely needs a load on the engine to make the sound.

I hope some of this helps in some way.

Well I am down to two suspect parts
(1) Water pump.., but I cannot really imagine bad pump bearings transmitting such noise!
and;
(2) Transfer case about to explode.
I am leaning towards number two.., anyone able to type out words to describe a failing transfer case?

I will report 4wd symptoms this Sat., or Su., need to get to some good gravel stretch to test.

Yes 90xj06, it makes big noise in 4hi, and 4lo.

Also makes the same big noise driving in 2-Wheel mode, i.e., in all forward gears whenever the clutch pedal is in the up position.., at any speed.

When driving when the clutch pedal is to the floor, the big noise goes away, but the small noise can still be heard from the waterpump bearings though...

However when parked in my driveway, with my hand-brake engaged, at idle, or a bit of reving, not so much big noise as per when driving. In that same parked position, at idle I can hear the waterpump bearings make a small noise, and see the pully wobble a bit, maybe a 1/6 of an inch.

Besides this here update of the problem, I am soon to receive in the mail some kind of a chassis listening tool system that has 6 senders, (like microphones I think), which are hard wired to a little box with a dial switch knob, where one can isolate sounds while driving along, listening through a cumbersome head-set. They have a more expensive wireless model, but it appears to have some failures, as per various reports, but easier to utilize I reckon. However all I have to do is run the wires along some loosely afixed zip-ties here, and there, and bring the bundle up through my Renix Wing Window, to the box's placement to be up on the dash, and into it a head-set plugged in. Some say the senders puke out, but one guy said that's ok, even if he only has one left, (of the six), he can still better isolate as to where the problem area is, blah, blah.

I don't mention the brand-name of the unit until such time I can evaluate it; one way, or another.

Back