• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to remove dome lights, 1990XJ roof console

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
Hello..

I want to change the light bulbs in, and fix a sticky switch for my 1990 Laredo roof center console lamps. There are four lamps on this console.

How is the bulb accessed? Do I pry the lense cover off or what? Been fiddling with it for a while, what is the secret?

Thanks!

The frosted plastic cover just pops free. A little pressure on the back edge and it should come loose. If you have map lights built in, you should be able to get at those once the cover is out of the way, at least that's how mine is

Haven't done this in a while but IIRC you have to get at them from the backside. Here is a pic I found:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/overhead-console-49775/

To get the console off, remove the single phillips screw at the very front of the console (above the rear view mirror) and slide the console forward until it releases from the rear clips. cables are easy to disconnect and once off you can get at the bulbs by removing the screws that hold them to the console.

It is a bit of a pain to get the console back into place but if you are patient it will go smoothly.

HTH
Todd

Back