• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Suggestions for water leak on a 1990????

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
Hi gang,

I just noticed water on the drivers side floor. It snows here in Oregon, but we just had a bit of a rain storm, and I think my carpet appears wet and the windows are all "cloudy"

I was hoping you all might have some suggestions on where the water might be coming from. I don't seem to have any rust around the window, but maybe it is well hidden.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks and Happy New year.

Bob:)

I had that problem with my "94. What I ended up doing was getting som clear bathroom caulking and caluling around the top outside edge of the frunt window. Not the best answer to the problem but I don't have the time now to fix it proberly.... and it has worked for 2 years now! Knock on wood!!!

You may want to check your floor plugs. I have an 89 and mine used to to that. I had some moisture in my padding and carpet on the drivers side and when it would get a little warm it would evaporate and fog up my windows. Turned out to be the floor plug had dry rotted and fell out. Just a suggestion.

my "no-draft" windows leaked like a sieve but primarily on the passenger side. I don't use the windows anyways so I just bought some marine sealand and ran a bead around the windows. The window seal seals from the inside and the outside, so have a look at how they close and goop it up accordingly.
After my first attempt I found that there was still a little water leaking from the passenger side so I just used a hose to trace where it was leaking. Hasn't rained yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Another problem I have heard is the cowl drain getting plugged with debris and causing water to overflow and leak down into the cab. I havn't gotten around to checking this hose.

yet another problem can be something to do with the A/C, which actually runs when you use the defrost leaking condensation onto the floor or something. I havn't really taken the time to look into it so if my caulking job doesn't fix the leak this time around I'll be looking a little more seriously at the other potential problems.

Thanks for the input.

I was looking to see if there is a " common problem" area.

I will check the drain hose. Is there a easy way to get to it?

Thanks,
Bob

Run....don't walk to check the floor under that carpet. The carpet padding resembles a big diaper. It traps and holds miosture, you want to get it dry and find the source of the leak ASAP. XJ's are notorious for floor rot. Repairing and or replacing floor pans in these things is not fun.

Clunk,

Where is or what is the "Cowl" drain?

You might check a couple other areas for fun while you verify other areas previously mentioned. My 1990 leaked (caught it in time though, just a tiny bit o rust) and I found water entering two different places. First, and worst, were the rear fenders....the rear seat latched on two "buttons" welded to the inner fender panels, but were not reinforced with a "patch" on outside panel (1991-newer possess this mod). Fatigue cracks resulted, which allowed water paddled from the tires to leak into the floor. Checking for cracks is very simple...illuminate the fender wells above the rear tires, or use a flashlight in a dark area from the interior and see if theres any light "leakage."

The other possibility could be the hatch window gasket, it will leak if the seal isnt perfect.....mine leaks and runs down to the front, I have the parts, but not motivated to repair it right now....sorry for the dissertation, just a little of my experience, good luck finding the leak, and remember to remove the carpet and dry things out, the floor will very rapidly rust!!!

Check for unsealed holes in the firewall. Water can follow wires in for CB, trailer brake etc.

Dry the door weatherstrip, then use low pressure water around the door opening. Turn the water off, wait a minute, then open the door and look at the weatherstrip. It should be dry where it touches the door. If its not, water can leak past the weatherstrip, under the plastic sill plate and then under the carpet. Also look for tears in the weatherstrip. It's hollow and water will run inside down to where the ends join together and under the carpet.

Run your hand along the bottom of the door trim panel. If it's wet, water could be leaking past the plastic shield to the interior.

Leaks from roof rack, windshield, doors, & windows is clean water. Leaking wheel well, floor plugs is muddy/gritty water and leaves a fine silt under the carpet.

Remove the carpet to dry, and to see if there are any other wet areas. It has a plastic backing and water will never dry out unless you do so. And the thick pad takes a long time to dry. Plus it is a good time to water test since any leaks will be easier to spot. Look for water trails in the dust.

Good luck!

Thanks for the ideas.

My drivers door weatherstrip looks pretty bad, with some rips in some areas. Any suggetions on where and what if costs to replace? Does replacing the weatherstrip help with wind noise?

Thanks
Bob:compwork:

Can't remember for sure, but I think just the door opening weatherstrip was around $60 from the dealer. Didn't seem to make any difference on noise.

If you need a good rain test, come on over the coast. Got a good monsoon going on right now!

Back