• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Vs. Welded exhaust manifold

MickeyS

NAXJA Forum User
Going to pull this sucker out of my 96 this week or next when I have time.

Should I take it to the muffler guys to weld or buy a new exhaust mani?

I'm in CA and slightly concerned about smog, though I could find someone who will pass it regardless would rather it be a non issue forever.

Depends. How much your local shop would charge and how badly you want to climb under there and weld something while dirt falls in your eyes.

For me, it goes to the shop.

For muffler there's a ton of options. I found one in a pile at muffler shop. Sounds good and performs even better for cheap.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Most repaired manifolds fail quickly.

Repaired or replaced with new, also install new motor mounts. No exhaust manifold will last long if the motor mounts are worn out.

Thanks. My line of inquiry was more just the exhaust headers only, sorry for the confusion in the title. I did a cat/muffler a couple years ago so those are new and CA compliant.

If it is common for repaired stock headers to fail, I guess I will replace them with new. Anyone here from CA have any recommendations for something?

I see these on rock auto. not sure if they're compliant or decent replacements though?

SKP SK674196

DAVICO 651186

ATP 101330 {#4883385, 5013681AA, 6806592AA}

?

I'm in CA and slightly concerned about smog, though I could find someone who will pass it regardless would rather it be a non issue forever.

Welding is a temporary cure, no suggestions on what is the best new one but my 1997 has had a Banks for several years with no issues.
The exhaust is hidden under the intake and I have never had a smog inspector notice the Banks in either in the 1997 or 2001, during many tests.
I do keep the CARB sticker for each in the gloves box, just in case.

MANIFOLDS... sorry, I was thinking exhaust from manifold back.

get the one with the flex line built into the collectors

get the one with the flex line built into the collectors

Or add a flex pipe where the exhaust crosses over, under the transmission.

If you go with a weld repair be sure to drill a small hole at each end of the crack before welding to stop it from propagating. Brazing the crack is another option.

Welds fail because most people do not know how to weld cast. It takes a reversed DC polarity, different rod (high nickel content), preheat, and post heat cool down.

Brazing is a poor mans solution.

I did my first cast in 1964.

True, but only the 2000 -01 have cast exhaust manifolds.

The ATP Part Number: 2236-09011591 exhaust manifold looks a lot like the ( possibly discontinued ) ineedparts.com APN manifold that everybody has been recommending. I have the APN in my 98 and several of the guys in my local club have installed them.

Back