• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front drive shaft u-joint

XJensen

NAXJA Forum User
i was putting back on my front drive shaft and one of the end caps fell off.

anyone know a shop in north sacramento, or anywhere in the sacramento area for that matter, where i can get a new joint pressed in. Sorry I am still new to the area.

Sounds like the axle might need to be replaced if the cap just fell out. They are supposed to fit really tight in there.

If the joint cap opening in the yoke is that loose you can replace it yourself easily enough. Remove the driveshaft, buy a 153 U-joint at your local parts store. (1310) take off a cap, align it right making sure the little needle bearings stay all lined up. (A wad of good grease helps hold em in place.) Make sure the body of the joint is aligned as well. Press it in using a vice..

Make sure you install the retainer clip. That's probably what is missing in the first place. Using a hammer to install usually results in bearings moving around and falling down and will prevent a proper fit.

Total price. Around $10

watch your fingers:

24381693-L.jpg

Photo by Terryn

Starboard M said:
The axle might need to be replaced?

dont think he understands its the driveshaft and not the axle shaft thats missing a cap

i swap u-joints for my junk using a a socket, a hammer and a C-clamp
since i dont have the fancy tool

Sorry missed the driveshaft part. I have been working on the front axle shafts over the last couple of days.

So did the cap come out of the driveshaft yoke or did the free cap(the one that goes to the axle yoke) just fall off? If the free cap fell of, just align the needle bearings and shove it back on.

Bryan C. said:
So did the cap come out of the driveshaft yoke or did the free cap(the one that goes to the axle yoke) just fall off? If the free cap fell of, just align the needle bearings and shove it back on.

This was the case but the bearings went everywhere and for a couple bucks I got a new u-joint. I didn't want the headache of dealing with the bearings.

I also belive that it is better in the long run to replace it. It was looking a little worn and for the price of a new u-joint I figure just replace it.

Back