• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

End of life.

Kevin3151

NAXJA Forum User
My 88 xj flopped on a perfectly good paved road today. It took out the A pillar and windshield, not worth fixing to me.:cry: No one was hurt. (just my pride)

For those of you not on SoCalXJ to hear this news:

Im in the suck, but I am looking forward to moving everything over to a 91-95 xj.

Im shopping now for a cheap jeep stocker to start moving parts. I loved that red jeep, it will be hard to chop up. like many of you, I have billions of man hours on that thing. Just wiring in the amp/speakers alone was a one day job, imagine clocking in an atlas or regearing an axle or motor mounts or removing ABS systems or a new headliner or ham radio or an air horn or fog lights or extra 12v cig lighter plugs or a roof rack or trimming the fenders and boxing the rears or frame stiffeners or custom battery boxes or brake lines and boosters with proportioning valves or electric line locks or custom co2 brackets and lines and wires for ARB stuff or custom bumpers or rock rails or custom LED tail lights with boxes and wiring, or tow package wires or rock rails or oh sh##T I have a long summer ahead of me.

KH

condolences, ive often wondered how much time i actually have into the jeep. yes, some parts move over easily, but for every easy part, theres 2 that are impossible to move over...

how'd it roll? overcorrecting?

you're right about one thing, its gonna be a long summer! but at least its summer!

Kevin, glad nobody was hurt!

Just look at it as this XJ was just practice for the next build! Think of all the time you'll save now that you know how to do it just right :D Let us know if we can help.

I removed the proportioning valve o ring a long time ago when I put in a d44 with big rear disk brakes. All of the bias was to the rear wheels.I have an adjustable prop valve on the shelf I never put in. Usually the jeep is trailered or flat towed and it wasnt a huge concern. I could stop fairly well.

I ran into just the right situation where a toyota trucks brakes were able to stop in front of me faster than the Jeep brakes I had. I chose to hit the shoulder and embankment instead of hitting the toyota at 10 or 15 mph. I should have just hit it, I would have driven away with a scuff mark. Instead I hit the embankment and it threw me onto my side. At least the Toyota drove away.

I was a ways back (five seconds?), but still too close for a panic stop and had no where to go. Probably was going 30 but it was a steep hill and I just plain couldnt stop. If I was in my DD honda, it would have been no problem. It was my fault and I feel like a dumbass. It sucks cause I didnt fishtail or over correct, I just chose to hit the shoulder instead of the car in front of me. I am actually pretty depressed, but at least no one got hurt, I was really the only one to blame.

KH

how bad is it man? is the roof buckled and a pillar caved in, or is it just beauty damage? are you worried about how it looks, or how its going to be mechanically/safety wise after this?

how bad is it man? is the roof buckled and a pillar caved in, or is it just beauty damage? are you worried about how it looks, or how its going to be mechanically/safety wise after this?

Yea, its just that I cant get new glass in. Its too tweaked. Body damage is fine usually unless it starts looking like a scrap heap.

I could graft in a new A pillar, but considering the dents per square millimeter, its time for a new body.

I still am staring at it in the garage imagining fixing it though. Its possible, but probably not worth it. I have some pics that show it pretty well.

http://www.wolfenet.org/~kevinh/pictures/

KH

ive put a jeep on its side doing much less noble things....
sucks that the dude drove away, maybe he felt like you'd not be too happy with him.

ive put a jeep on its side doing much less noble things....
sucks that the dude drove away, maybe he felt like you'd not be too happy with him.

Funny thing is, after the tow truck flopped it onto the wheels, I reached in and started it. It sprang to life. I then said to the cop and tow truck, "Im driving it home, its only a few blocks" they looked at me funny, but I said, its a jeep, if this was the desert, no one would think twice.

Off I went on my way. After paying the tow truck five hundred million dollars ($210). I coulda winched it over with a few jeep friends there. My insurance on it is liability only. Hmm.......

KH

i flopped a friends mj, about a mile from his house, we put a tow strap thru the frame rail, attached it to a xj, put it in 4-lo and flopped it back on all 4. it started up and drove home fine.

i flopped a friends mj, about a mile from his house, we put a tow strap thru the frame rail, attached it to a xj, put it in 4-lo and flopped it back on all 4. it started up and drove home fine.

Yea I flopped this jeep on its other side about 5 years ago at Los Coyotes in sand and dirt. Several guys pushed on the rain gutter while my front locker tried to get traction. We managed to get traction and get it on its wheels. A few days later with some b-c pillar glass in the back door. touch up paint and all was well again. Its been that way for years. Every year, JV etc. takes its toll and finally, this was the final straw. No windshield is bad.

KH

hey, its a new decade, i hear its the IN THING to replace your chassis.
i can definately agree with grimm, now you know exactly what to do, what not to do, and in which order. it can be fun!

Might I suggest a different color for the next one? something a bit less "roll over red"?

So there is going to be a price for movie night admision now huh?

While I understand the need for a clean shell with all the glass, My MJ started off worse than that.

I would put a A pillar in it. At least you're ok!

All I really need is a clean spot to put a new windshield in. It is looking pretty beat these days.

I am going to take it to the desert on the trailer this weekend for one last wheeling trip. That should be REALLY fun:explosion. Im not sure If I should pull the glass and wear goggles or if I should wheel it with cracked glass.

Why not just make it a trail only rig? Or just pound/pull out the A-pillar as best you can and make it a mainly trail rig. You'll have a ton of manhours into putting all your stuff into another Jeep anyway, and you'll probably be even more worried about flopping the new Jeep vs. just having fun with what you have, unless you put a nice roll cage in the new one.
There's a flopped lifted XJ sitting in a parking space in Pacific Beach, I drive by it almost every day. This thing is completely off though, the whole driver's side is angled in and the passenger side follows it. Basically if you look at it from directly behind it looks like a parallelogram. I'm guessing he's gonna build that into a trail only rig, as he hasn't even begun to tear it down or anything.

Glad you are ok. I agree with most......chop it, replace A pillar and enjoy......unless you wanted to start over with a new rig.

Back