• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rust Treatment Questions?

JeepFreak21

NAXJA Forum User
My new XJ's got a little rust. It's in a lot of random places... along the top of the windshield, in the gutter rails, on the roof, etc. Everything looks like it'll come off with a wire brush/wheel pretty easy, but there are some small cracks here and there with rust around them.

I really don't know jack about rust/primer/paint/body work. Navel jelly? Self etching primer?

There are few enough cracks, that I don't mind spending some time in those areas, but I really do not want to spend hours and hours on this. POR-15 sounds like a major PITA. I want to do most of the jeep with a rattle can (or possibly paint sprayer).

So... what do I treat the cracks with?

Thanks,
Billy

sand off the paint to see how much rust there is then I would use 2 or 3 coats of por 15. then sand that a little to scratch it up the fill the cracks with fiber glass filler if they are pritty big.( like bondo but with litlle fiber glass strans in it) then sand that flat the cover it with bondo then sand that nicely.primer block sand that then primer again then finaly paint. have any pics of it?

Back