• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shock length for RE 4.5" lift

xjdavid1

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of buying the Rubicon Express 4.5" lift but noticed that it doesnt come with shocks. I have been told locally that I could use Old Man Emu long travel shocks but arent these 4". The RE kit from what I have heard will net a bit more that 4.5 which means that the OME shocks will be about 1" short. I currently have a 2" OME kit and it came with shocks so was easy. But now I find that most kits dont come with shocks and that I have to measure it myself to get the right length. Who knowns how I would work out the correct valving for the shock. Do RE list shocks that are matched to the kits they sell. I have have a look on their web site but they only appear to list Brand names and not length or valving.

If you're spending money on a kit you might as well go all the way and do everything right. Your best bet is to get the kit and put it on and then buy the shocks. Otherwise than that what works for others might not work for you and you will have wrong length shocks.

here is my story

i have the re 4.5 lift... one weekend when i had too much spare time.. i did this process...
1st i disconnected my shocks...
2nd flexed up each side and measured the total flex/ stuff "bumpstops"
3rd Measured the shocks extended/compressed

I figured out that my shocks were about 1" too short.. and i made some extensions/ BPE's

The OME LT shocks will work just fine. Get the XJ/TJ LT shocks for the front, and get ZJ/Grand Cherokee LT's for the back. This is what Rubicon Express does on the 4.5" and 5.5" kits. If you haven't already, check with Suburban4wd.com, they're the RE distributors down under.

edit: For the most part, unless you buy something like Bilsteins, you won't have a choice on valving. As far as length goes, unless you're running some kind of custom mount/bracket setup, most places will be able to get you the correct length shocks if you just tell them how much lift you're running.

Last edited:
Back