• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Takes a while to start

Olympia

NAXJA Forum User
85 xj 2.8,

I have already gone through the carb and cleaned out the gunk. Put new fuel filter on, and its alot better. Still takes some cranks though to get it started.

How do i get a better ignition starter system? What do I do?

first thing i'd look at is to check the voltage at the coil power wire with the engine cranking .. make sure you're getting enough voltage .. if not the spark is gonna be weak during start up

the fix is to go back through the wiring and check for and correct any resistance in the circuit, and to make sure it's ground is good

I have read that the Renix ECM needs to see a few motor revolutions, and reach a cranking speed of 300 or better RPM before it will initiate spark....so it will probably never start instantly like new cars do...
Good strong starter & battery, well tuned motor, properly adjusted TPS, clean and lubed up IAC, no vac leaks, with good grounds are the best you can do...

With the 2.8L V6, he won't have RENIX. That was a GM engine using a GM control system.

You'll note that this probably degraded over time, as the cables got old. Honestly, one of the best things you can do to reduce cranking times is to replace the mains cables - especially if you go a bit larger. Not only does this renew the connections at the ends, but your cables are probably suffering from internal corrosion as well (1985? That makes them 23 years old...) and breakage of some of the strands.

There's nothing really "wrong" with the GM HEI setup, but it's only as good as the power supply and grounds are. Clean up your grounds, check out your mains, and think about changing them as needed (especially if you have an engine-firewall "open braid" ground strap - those tend to get crapped up and funky. If there isn't a direct battery-chassis ground, and I'm almost willing to bet there isn't, that's your only engine ground and it can raise all sorts of Hell for you...)

Back