NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 2nd, 2019, 16:15
Degenerate Jeeper

Tomken gas tank skid installation issue

Iím trying to install a Tomken gas tank skid on my Ď99 XJ and find that the exhaust pipe is in the way. And I donít mean itís just a bit in the way to the point I can clearance it with a pry bar. Itís way more than that. Iím either going to have to modify the exhaust or modify the skid to make it work.

Frankly, Iíve been tempted for some time to shorten the exhaust, so this may be my final motivation to cut it somewhere between the muffler and the gas tank. That and Iím kind of hesitant to start cutting and welding on a new skid with a pristine powder coating.

Iím wondering if anyone else has run into this issue with the Tomken skid and, if so, how you dealt with it.

Old October 4th, 2019, 10:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Tomken gas tank skid installation issue

How do your exhaust mounts look? A little change in angle up near the cat is quite a bit behind the axle. Have you had exhaust work done?

Personally, assuming the exhaust isn't close to the gas tank, I'd just clearance the skid.
Old October 4th, 2019, 14:55
Degenerate Jeeper

I didn’t have any previous exhaust work done, but I can’t speak for the original owner. The rig had about 130,000 miles on it when I bought it. In any event, I took it into a shop yesterday and had the exhaust rerouted to clear the skid, so all’s good now.
Old October 5th, 2019, 07:54
Freakish Hand Strength

Modify the less expensive part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjeeper

Go ahead and slam the liftgate down on a blanket, and see how long you are laughing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer

Tim MAY be 100% correct, but why would a person automatically pick him as the expert .....
Old October 5th, 2019, 11:04
Degenerate Jeeper

Words to live by.
Old November 24th, 2019, 08:58
Degenerate Jeeper

Tomken gas tank skid installation issue

Once I solved the exhaust pipe interference issue I finished installing the skid using the manufacturerís mounting system, but I didnít like it for two reasons:

First, I guess my gas tank hangers must have taken some damage over the years because they donít hang exactly parallel to one another. Consequently, the skid did not slide easily onto the hangers and once secured into place with a BFH the whole thing was kind of crooked and I had to use a pry bar to line it up enough to get some of the bolts started in the rear crossmember, leaving the whole thing still fairly crooked and always under stress.

Second, I just didnít like the idea of using the gas tank hangers as a mounting point for the skid. If you search this site youíll find that some folks have had problems with this setup. Itís just not a great design and I didnít want to experience problems down the road if I ever landed hard on the skid on top of a rock or a log or the like.

So I uninstalled it, shaved off the pieces of tubing meant to fit onto the hangers and fabbed up some brackets that mount to the frame rails using some scrap 4Ēx4Ē angle iron. I drilled some holes through the bottom of the frame rails, welded some 5/16 studs to small bits of bar stock, and then inserted those bits into the rails so that the studs came through the holes. And, voila!, an improved mounting system, in my opinion.

Old November 24th, 2019, 09:22
NAXJA Member

Looks good.
Old November 24th, 2019, 14:48
Degenerate Jeeper

Thanks. Pretty simple.
Old November 24th, 2019, 16:11
NAXJA Member

mounts look good. is the skid hanging lower than it would have with stock mounting? got a skid I need to mount up and I know I'm going to run into issues...
Old November 24th, 2019, 17:19
Degenerate Jeeper

By “stock mounting,” I take it you mean using the gas tank hangers as intended by Tomken, in which case the answer is no. The location is exactly the same. The back of the skid bolts directly to the cross member, so that height is fixed. I ran the top side edges of the skid parallel to the frame rails — basically, horizontal — and drilled the mounting holes accordingly, and it ended up sitting right where it was when mounted to the tank hangers. But I can’t tell you how the ground clearance compares to a stock skid plate. I should have measured before removing the factory skid, but didn’t think of it.
Old November 24th, 2019, 17:25
NAXJA Forum User

i cut of that top corner where it hit my ex. pipe, simple enough. i also added L brackets each side for extra support to hold up the skid.
Old November 24th, 2019, 17:54
NAXJA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimrod View Post
By ďstock mounting,Ē I take it you mean using the gas tank hangers as intended by Tomken, in which case the answer is no. The location is exactly the same. The back of the skid bolts directly to the cross member, so that height is fixed. I ran the top side edges of the skid parallel to the frame rails ó basically, horizontal ó and drilled the mounting holes accordingly, and it ended up sitting right where it was when mounted to the tank hangers. But I canít tell you how the ground clearance compares to a stock skid plate. I should have measured before removing the factory skid, but didnít think of it.
yes, was thinking departure angle/clearance. looks good.