• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 4.0L oil pan removal

CHEROKEEPEOPLE

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys! New member and darn glad to meet all of you!
Can the oil pan on a 90 Cherokee 4.0L 5sp come off with the engine in the rig?
Had it up last night and looks like if I let the front axle hang down it might be possible.
Don't want to start and find out it can't be done. That would not be any fun.
Thanks for the help!

Yes - although it's easier if you've been lifted (still, I've done it twice - 1988 and 1989.)

Jack the front end up until the axle gets to full droop, and be ready to unbolt the transmission mount from the crossmember. Lifting up the transmission tail by an inch or two can make a HUGE difference in getting the pan out!

The oil pickup may be in the way. If so, seperate the pan from the block, then reach in there, undo the two oil pump bolts and lower the pump into the pan. That will give you more wiggle room.

Take the shocks loose this will give you more room than you think especially if your still running stock shocks. BUT BE CAREFUL with the brake lines they are not ment to support the weight of the axle with or without the tires and wheels installed.
I've replaced one on my 93 and on my brothers 96 I had zero problems Just do yourself a BIG favor and use the OEM 1 piece gasket and rtv the cornners. I saw in a thread this morning were I guy used bread ties to keep the gasket inplace while he reinstalled the pan. Wish I had thought of that one....oh well live and learn. ONe more thing wear old throw away clothes you will get messy on this one.

If you do it spring for the Felpro permadry plus gasket. It is made of neoprene with metal inserts so you don't crush it and also includes plastic studs to install it and keep it in place. Really nice peice to work with.

RandyD71 said:
If you do it spring for the Felpro permadry plus gasket. It is made of neoprene with metal inserts so you don't crush it and also includes plastic studs to install it and keep it in place. Really nice peice to work with.
agree, this is the one that I used as well. No leaks at all and I somewhat mangled the oil pan lip when I was removing it. I pounded it back straight and using the seal have had no leaks to date (8 months or so).

RandyD71 said:

Forgot that - that would be the gasket fir 1996-up XJ (yes, it fits - it fit my 1988 just fine...)

Thanks for all the info. Can any of you think of anything else that might be leaking?
On the passenger side I am all oily but the filter adapter is not causing it. Th oil send unit is dry as well. The front seal does not appear to be throwing it and the gasket area is wet and clean. I can see the head gasket leaking some oil down that side but I assume if I retorque the head that will stop???:dunno:
Thanks again for all your help!!

CHEROKEEPEOPLE said:
Thanks for all the info. Can any of you think of anything else that might be leaking?
On the passenger side I am all oily but the filter adapter is not causing it. Th oil send unit is dry as well. The front seal does not appear to be throwing it and the gasket area is wet and clean. I can see the head gasket leaking some oil down that side but I assume if I retorque the head that will stop???:dunno:
Thanks again for all your help!!

Do Not just retorque the head screws!

Check at the rear of the head where the valve cover is screwed down - a leak there can present as any of a number of things. Clean down the back of the engine, and run & recheck.

A leak at the rear of the valve cover will also present with longwise streaks down the top of the bellhousing, but you may have to move the rear of the transmission or use a "mirror-on-a-stick" to see it (which you should have anyhow. They're cheap enough - get one on a telescoping stick.)

Forgot to mention - the cylinder head gasket does not seal oil under pressure. Just the "drainback" around the valve lifter gallery. The closest there is to pressurised oil in the head is the supply pumped up by the lifters, via the pushrods, to lubricate the upper valvetrain.

Back