• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ac/heater blower not working.

shawnravish

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2001 XJ 2wd, 4.0L manual tranny. My ac/heater blower motor has quit working all together with no warning. I have been searching in forums for my exact problem, however the only info I could find is on the blower only working on HIGH, and most people said to look at the resistor for this problem. I have verified that the motor itself works by taking it out and connecting direct power from the batt to it. I have also checked all the fuses in the eng. compt and on the passenger side wall. The only fuse that I found that might have to do with the problem is in the engine compt and is one of those big sized 40amp ones, (the cover listed it as "blower motor" I replaced this and still no luck. I do not have a diagram to show which fuses in the pass. compartment are for what, however all fuses look to be fine. I can not find any ref. to there being a relay or anything, so not sure if there is or not. I have taken apart the panel on the dash, and could not find anything that stands out as broken or burnt, and the switch that controls ac/heat/defrost etc is working, so I assume that the panel is getting power.

Could the problem be the resistor?, is there a relay somewhere?, should I just try to replace the switch?, or is there anymore troubleshooting I could do.

Thanks for any help!

I'm having the same problem on a 99 XJ. Replaced the resistor - no effect. Replaced the blower motor (twice, both brand new) - no effect. Voltage meter says the blower should be getting 12v, so I would assume the wiring is ok. What am I missing?

You need to check for power at the fan switch before you replace it.

Then check for ground at the motor.

Quick update: I read online about a relay behind the glove box (kind of hard to see, but it is there) that sometimes causes problems with the blower fan among other things. Relay number is 56006709 50732. I swapped that relay out with a new one, and the new blower seems to be working like a champ. So if your blower motor isn't working, you might want to check that relay before you start replacing things. Hope this saves someone some time!

shawnravish
Nabopolassar
Were you able to get it working? How difficult was it to get the motor out with the AC in the way? Same problem in my 01 Thanks

Last edited:
Back