• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pan Removal

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
on my 1990 cherokee, lifted 5.5 inches, I need to remove the oil pan (oil dip stick tube broke off flush, need to hammer it out from inside, already tried bolt extractors on it, stuck tight)
Anyway the factory manuals tells me I need to disconnect the exhaust pipe from manifold, remove starter, disconnect motor mounts, and raise engine to get the pan off.

I appear to have plenty of clearance between the pan and axle as the jeep is lifted 5.5 inches Do I still need to remove the exhaust pipe from manifold if I dont need to raise the motor?

I am hoping to not have to mess with the exhaust and its very rust bolts. Will someone who has done this on a raised jeep let me know?

Thanks!

I removed the pan on my '90 to change the oil pump and and rear main seal. I did not have to touch the top end. IIRC the only challenge I ran into was that the pan wouldn't drop enough to clear the axle but it sounds like the lift should take care of that for you. In my case the answer was to lift the transmission a bit to create enough space to get the pan to clear.

HTH
Todd

I think I had to remove the starter on mine, but not the exhaust, nor the motor mounts.

I am only at about 3" of lift.

At 4.5 inches on a 98. Pan came out without removing anything

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I dropped the pan on a stock 95 XJ by just supporting the jeep on the "frame", taking off the tires and letting the axle droop, removing the starter and taking off one large bolt/nut on the bottom driver's side of the flexplate cover/bellhousing. It lightly drug on the axle but still came out.

I dropped the pan on a stock 95 XJ by just supporting the jeep on the "frame", taking off the tires and letting the axle droop, removing the starter and taking off one large bolt/nut on the bottom driver's side of the flexplate cover/bellhousing. It lightly drug on the axle but still came out.

X2 on this, I'm lifted, but if you can support the frame and droop the axle as much as possible your good to go.

Back