• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 Electric fan temp switch.. An idea?

mattbred

NAXJA Forum User
My electric fan does not come on at all and I have figured it is because of the temperature switch in the radiator is bad. Also after researching, it seems it only comes on at very hot temps (220 farenheight, of which my temp gauge shows me engine running, and beyond..).

Is there a way to buy a seperate third party temp switch that I can program, or at least one that comes on at 200 and cuts out at 185 or so? All it does is complete the circuit, it's quite simple.

(Unless I'm clearly mistaken and the fan is supposed to come on way earlier, what is the exact name for the switch so I can replace it? And how much would it cost roughly?)

Last edited:
My aux fan is the same way. I just watch the gauge (which I know is reasonably accurate). If the temp goes up too high, I flip on the A/C or defroster to kick on the fan.

Hmm the defroster makes it go on eh.

Anyone know of that temp switch? Or what temperatures the stock once should egnage at?

Also on another note; my temperature gauge seems finnicky. I just bought a new sender too; here's what's up:

After shutting it off, if I leave ignition on, the temperature will go from where it shut off, to plus another maybe 5-10 degrees celsius. Also, sometimes with the old sensor, the temperature gauge was going up and down sporadically. I dont know if I can trust this temperature gauge, so is there any other DEFINITIVE way I can tell my temperature?

Back