• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions codes

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Was getting a PO138 code and since I had a strong hunch the O2 sensors were the ones that came from the factory at new (95,900 miles) I went ahead and changed them both and cleared the code.

Immediately after changing them, on the first drive, I was noticing some weird shift points, meaning shifting at a higher RPM than usual. It seemed to go "back to normal" over the course of the drive and no codes were thrown.

Today, I drive again and I noticed some bucking while under load early in the drive in stop and go traffic, and then a little later while running at 75 mph on the interstate. I also got a check engine light and two codes are thrown - PO132 and PO455.

The 455, of course, could be about anything in the evap emissions system, but the 132 is a bank one O2 sensor code. Reading on the Googleizer, it sounds like an electrical issue, which I am not qualified to detect. I suppose there is a chance that I got a faulty new sensor, but...

I also suppose it is possible that the cat could just be bad and the cause of both codes. I reckon that is the original also.

Any advise on trouble shooting, particularly the 132, before I take it to the shop?

Bosch or NTK O2 sensors ? It does matter.

0132 JEEP - O2 Sensor Circuit High Bank 1 Sensor 1

P0132 JEEP Possible Causes
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 wire harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Intake Manifold leak
- Exhaust Manifold leaks

Some basic YouTube research should provide the necessary explanations and testing.

i assume this is for the 2001 xj listed in you tag.

P0132 is O2 sensor shortage to voltage
this will trigger after the engine is running for 4 minutes and coolant temp is above 180F

the oxygen sensor voltage when above 1.5 volts

this is most likely the upsteam sensor
look at the O2 sensor heater relay

look for any place there may be a short
you can measure the resistance for the O2 sensor ground circuit from the O2 sensor connector to the pcm harness connector should be around 5.0 ohm

P0455 Evap leak monitor large leak detected
this will trigger immediate after a cold start

check the gas cap and start looking for leaks

Back