• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ironman4x4Fab Steering Box Brace Install

bajabronco

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I installed the newest version of Ironman4x4Fab's steering box brace with sector shaft support. I followed the video that Andy posted - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBal6lDCZwA that tells you how to install things. It is a fairly easy install, but there are a couple of things to be aware of.

1 The bolts I got to hold the brace to the frame Andy says are 17mm - they were 16mm
2. They tell you to use a 1 1/2" deep socket to tighten down the sleeve nut I have always used an adjustable to tighten down the pitman arm nut- but an adjustable won't work with the brace. I found out that the 1 1/2" socket has to be really deep, the 1 1/2" deep socket I was able to buy at pep boys (only place around me that had one) did not work. An adjustable wrench will not fit so I used some pliers that I angled up through the bottom opening and cranked on it as hard as I could. This was the most frustrating part of the install, figuring out how to tighten the sleeve nut.
3. If you have an aftermarket steering box spacer that came with new bolts My JCR one did, you will have to back out the rear most steering box bolt so you can get the 3/4" socket in to tighten the steering box clamp nut closest to the drivers side..
4. When tightening down the clamp that connects the steering box to the brace use a 3/4" wrench to hold the bolt in place while you tighten the nut. on the bolt closest to the drivers side you will have to feed the open end of the wrench through the slot in the front between the brace and the core support to hold the bolt vertically stop it from spinning while you tighten it down

IMG_0790_zpsu1thtc8g.jpg

5. A small 3/8 ratchet wrench works well to tighten down the one back bolt for the sector shaft mount that you can't get to with a 3/8 socket like the other three

Pic of the brace installed
IMG_0791_zpswx8jccsw.jpg

I haven't really driven it that much since I did the install. I think I felt a little more road vibration in the steering wheel when I drove it to the gas station tonight, that might be because of the sector shaft support, but I am not sure yet. I was running a MORE steering box brace before this one, which only attaches to one side of the frame. Even with the MORE one, I heard a bunch of popping when turning when I was driving back down the mountain from my last wheeling trip in Big Bear. This setup does seem to turn pretty smoothly now. My steering is composed of WJ steering knuckle swap, over knuckle setup with a stock XJ box, 37" Yokohama XMT's on Method beadlocks.

Denverd1 I don’t have any plans for ram assist. The AGR pump and the stock box with the WJ over knuckle steering setup has worked great so far, even with my 37’s.

Back