• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ironman4x4fab STEERING BOX BRACE with SECTOR SHAFT SUPPORT JEEP XJ/MJ!

Ironmanandy

NAXJA Forum User
STEERING BOX BRACE with SECTOR SHAFT SUPPORT JEEP XJ/MJ!

One of the most neglected parts of an XJ Cherokee or MJ Commanche build is the steering box. Having no true frame to support the thousands of pounds of force created with increased stress, angles from lifts, and oversize tires, often leads to disaster.

161.50 SHIPPED is a steal for 10.9 graded frame mount bolts, grade 8 clamp bolts, 1/4" and 5/16" construction.

Y9gPjIJ.jpg

199.50 SHIPPED for the brace with the same specs listed above but with the sector shaft bearing and brace added for UNMATCHED BOX RIGIDITY!!

INzlVuOh.jpg

We found that without the clamp and brace we had just under 1/4" of flex at out sector shaft. Using just the clamp we eliminated that down to under 1/16" on the dial indicator and with just the sector shaft support it was about the same. When we combined the clamp and the sector shaft support we had .003 of deflection. Yes 3 thousandths of an inch which could be purely mechanical variation.

Cfhc7Xgh.jpg

This brace also works with the DURANGO BOX conversion as long as it is spaced .200-.240 wider than the factory spacer. These can be purchased un-welded if you need to mod it to a heavily damaged and repaired setup!

Click here to order now!
http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/SBB-SSS-MOB.html

Hey Andy, just got the brace and i'm having difficulties lining everything up. I pulled everything off and mounted it to the frame to test fit the frame bolts. I have no issues getting the frame bolts in, but when the sector shaft doesn't seem to line up, maybe ~3/4" off.

I backed the bolts off as the directions said to, and even still it not lining up. I removed al the driver side frame bolts, and left the passenger side loose. This allowed me to get the sector shaft support threaded on. After mocking that up, the frame bolts aren't even close.

I've attached some photos below. Any insight would be great. I know I could probably slot the frame holes, but I'd really prefer to not do that if possible.

http://imgur.com/a/8qIdj

These 2 show with both sides bolt into the frame, and the sector shaft threaded on.
JkCQUYU.jpg

RsV9dlF.jpg

These 2 show just the passenger side bolted to the frame, and the sector shaft thread on and it's supports bolted in. Driver side of the frame is off.
xomDDfZ.jpg

uHFVyvN.jpg

Last edited:
I messaged you in facebook and posted on your thread there. Did you use an aftermarket spacer with different than stock spacing? Or has your uni body been previousy damaged? I have already installed a bunch of these and even on previously damaged setups I was always able to just tug it over with a pry bar. Your steering box is strangely not even close.

I messaged you in facebook and posted on your thread there. Did you use an aftermarket spacer with different than stock spacing? Or has your uni body been previousy damaged? I have already installed a bunch of these and even on previously damaged setups I was always able to just tug it over with a pry bar. Your steering box is strangely not even close.

Yup, sorry about posting in different locations, didn't realize you were in the SEC too.

I have an aftermarket spacer, but it's the same spacing as stock. No frame damage either.

I was successfully able to get it installed after loosening all the steering box bolts and removing the rear spacer bolt. I had to widen the rear spacer hole to get the bolt back through.

This was definitely an issue with the spacer and the holes in the frame not lining up properly.

I'll have to post some pictures of it fully installed when I get back home. The brace us super beefy, and the front end is noticeably tighter with no slop in the steering anymore.

Thanks for your input! Im sorry you had such issues installing it. I have installed quite a few of these at this point even on very abused jeeps and have not had these issues. This does not mean I cant make some adjustments. feel free to pm me some pictures of holes you had an issue with. Thanks
-Andy Carter 7047963502

Installed pictures! This really tightened up my front end. It's like night and day with the difference.

zvmdp5K.jpg

09dRTHS.jpg

I really like the design and profile of this brace but was wondering if i could get this brace to work with my Durango box using your durango box spacer? or would i still need to space it the .200 - .240 with your durango box spacer?

I really like the design and profile of this brace but was wondering if i could get this brace to work with my Durango box using your durango box spacer? or would i still need to space it the .200 - .240 with your durango box spacer?

It will work with the durango box. You will need to Durango Box spacer.

Back